Wool Preparation for Spinning and Felting

Bridgemoof

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I can tell you this Southern, it is still in the washer soaking! It's on round 3 of washing. It was dirty and there is sooo much VM. I'll take a pic later or tomorrow morning. I believe it is a pale gray, very pretty. After it dries for a couple of days, I can start pulling the fiber apart and letting some of the VM fall out. Then I will hand card to get more VM out, then I will run it through my drum carder and yet more VM will fall out. There will still be some left, and I will have to pick it out as I felt it or spin it. The staple length is SOOOO long, probably about 5 inches. Wow.

I have another project I am working on at the same time. Carding some Jacob's wool from my whether Aidin that was shorn last year. It's been stored in a pillowcase, been cleaned. I'm separating the dark colors (grays and browns) from the whites. I'm running both separately through the drum carder. Then I will over dye some of the white and grays with a periwinkle dye I got. Next I will braid it all together and make it into roving. Then I will sell it on etsy (maybe)!!! I have 2.5 ounces so far.

Here are the batts I carded today with my drum carder. Next step, dyeing!

5910_img_9722.jpg

I have JACOBS on the brain, I wonder why????? :lol:

Roving Jacobs

Seeing Spots
Reaction score
I've had a lot of problems in the past getting dawn out of my fleeces. It just took ages to rinse out. Now I use Unicorn Power Scour and it rinses much easier and rarely seems to need more than one good washing. The company sends out free samples too which is always a plus! I also use lingerie bags and a giant basin over a camp stove outside so I'm not using up all my hot water and can still take a shower afterwards. All that lanolin makes dirt stick to you like a magnet.

Great tutorial, thanks for sharing your progress!

Bridgemoof

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thanks Roving! I've never heard of the Unicorn product, I will check it out for sure. I've never had a problem with the Dawn, but my wool is so dirty I usually soak it about 3 times after I use the detergent.

Bryan99705

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Depending on the condition of the fleece, you may consider shipping it out to Ohio Fiber or another similar company.They do a fantastic job and are reasonable