Work Boot Suggestions?

thethinkingweasel

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I'm looking for some good work boots that are sturdy, long-lasting, supportive, flexible, and NOT HOT.

I have a pair of Muck boots that I wear to do barn chores and muddy/messy tasks, but in the summer they make my whole lower legs sweat and add probably 5 degrees to my body temperature. Plus they have no real foot/arch support. I want to avoid wearing them all day long if I can.

I have a pair of tennis shoes that are great for wearing to go walking or shopping, but are not very sturdy or waterproof for tasks like putting in a pig fence or building a garden bed.

I have a pair of Vasque Gore-Tex (hiking?) boots that were given to me, which are waterproof and sturdy but have never softened up or conformed to my feet in two years of wearing them, and give me blisters and knee/hip aches when I wear them for more than a day at a time. Plus they don't bend or flex, so it's hard to kneel and do any garden work in them.

What boots do you use for messy, all-day, outside, summer work??

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I'm looking for some good work boots that are sturdy, long-lasting, supportive, flexible, and NOT HOT.

I have a pair of Muck boots that I wear to do barn chores and muddy/messy tasks, but in the summer they make my whole lower legs sweat and add probably 5 degrees to my body temperature. Plus they have no real foot/arch support. I want to avoid wearing them all day long if I can.

I have a pair of tennis shoes that are great for wearing to go walking or shopping, but are not very sturdy or waterproof for tasks like putting in a pig fence or building a garden bed.

I have a pair of Vasque Gore-Tex (hiking?) boots that were given to me, which are waterproof and sturdy but have never softened up or conformed to my feet in two years of wearing them, and give me blisters and knee/hip aches when I wear them for more than a day at a time. Plus they don't bend or flex, so it's hard to kneel and do any garden work in them.

Thorogood American Heritage Safety Toe Boot, My friends will never get a different pair of boots, This pair was tried and tested.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wear Ariat Terrains. They're leather and conform to my feet very well. I garden in them and do barn chores and also ride in them. They were built originally for endurance racers.
do you have the waterproof ones? and if you do do you think it would be worth the extra $?

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
do you have the waterproof ones? and if you do do you think it would be worth the extra $?

I do have the waterproof ones, and they keep my feet really dry. Even working in the rain. I have the regular ones also, I wear them literally every day and a pair will last me about a year before they are retired to only being used for really nasty stuff, lol.

KayL

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I use the Terrain Waterproof boots from Ariat as well. Bought them a little over two years ago and they’re starting to show their wear now (separating at the toe).

They’re comfortable and have great arch / ankle support. I work in them everyday and mostly in concrete barns. I’m prone to ankle pain as I’m very ankle valgus, these do a good job of keeping my bones from hurting at the end of a long day. I’ll add that I’m very sensitive to blistering, also, and haven’t had a problem in these. For a leather work boot I think they do an OK job in the heat (Carolinas), too.

If you haven’t used a leather work boot before, be sure to take care of them properly. Adopt a regular care regimen in order to keep the leather “waterproof” and from tearing at the seems. It makes a big difference in the quality of life and longevity of the boot.

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I got my pair of ariat terrains waterproof last Tuesday. They are good for riding, wearing all day working on the farm. And moving hay. I am happy.

Aren't they great? I have a brand new pair, but I don't want to get them dirty
(😄 ) so I'm wearing the old ones until they are really terrible. They still have lots of miles left in them though.

LonghornChris

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score

I wear Muck boot shoes that are made for high temps. I add inserts with arch supports and I can go all day. I have terrible feet with metatarsalgia pain. The soles look like hiking boots which is perfect for uneven ground.

HomesteaderWife

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
May not help but I like to get my black rubber work mucks at Tractor Supply. Simple and affordable and usually last me a good while before failing/puncture. Just gifted a pair of RedHead boots for Christmas and the whole toe split off already.