Working with Wool: Working Hard

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
So pumped to announce that I will be making my own yarns/wool products. Its a total WIP but I have big plans. So as most of you know I have sheep and alpacas. I took a four week spinning class in august which was fabulous! I got to borrow a spinning wheel and I learned how to spin different kinds of wool, as well as other fibers like silk, mohair and alpaca. I also learned how to blend shorter fibers with longer fibers. Then a few weeks ago I learned how to knit, I will be taking some of my yarn from my class and making something soon. Also I will be taking a natural dyeing class in november.
One of my old teachers used to own sheep and she has all kinds of equipment. She even said I can borrow her drum carder! :celebrate

I had often thought Rosie had a not so nice fleece, but I brought it to my class and the women said it had a lovely crimp! I learned Rosie is a southdown/miniature cheviot cross. Her fleece in so soft, I mixed it with some washed romney(for extra length) and it spun so beautifully. Last night I took a big chunk of her fleece and washed it. I will be taking it out and drying it shortly.

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Here is my first batch of....CLEAN WOOL! This is rosie's fleece from last year. It didn't completely whiten out, but it should be good after carding.
image.jpeg

So I learned to pick the fleece for excess debris, my first batch is nice but not perfect. Here is my picking pile.
image.jpeg

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
This is so cool! I know nothing about it and so pretty much give away my raw wool. I'll be following to see what neat projects you create...

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Got another batch of wool done! I'm so excited, can't wait for it to dry so I can spin it. Though I would actually need a wheel in order to do that. :hide
Look at how fine the crimp is :love
image.jpeg

My first batch is done, so fluffy, i couldn't stop playing with it!
image.jpeg

Also got some alpaca in the wash for tonight, big things are coming :D

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
There is a spinning group in the next county, only 9 miles away..... I stay away because I know it will trigger a whole new set of problems, like wool sheep, spinning wheel, time to care/do it all that I need to spend building fence, shelter, feed/tack room.....plant grass, stack hay, and on and on.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
In my area there was a CL listing for 5 or 6 Angora goats for sale. Well, I looked hard and decided I'd need to wash and shave them!!

Problem was that they looked soooooo dirty and messy in the pics that I would never have bought them. Not into the wools but, do enjoy hearing from those who have the patience to do this. I don't knit or crochet but appreciate the talent.

I have done a lot of needlepoint and embroidery as well as extensive seamstress work. Ahhh, the prom & wedding dresses I have made. LOL Yes, I have a LOT of fabrics. Soon you will have unreal amounts of spun wool. The desire to "make more" is an addiction. :cool: Enjoy it.

Of course, we expect pics of some finished projects.:clap

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
This is very cool! My aunt has promised to teach me how to spin wool soon. Fortunately for my poor husband I am happy to buy wool. I have no interest in keeping wool sheep or goats. An alpaca or two however is in my future!

Glad you're sharing pictures!

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Glad you're having so much fun! You can make a drop spindle with a piece of dowel and a couple of CD's - google 'make a CD drop spindle' . Spinning on a drop spindle is not as fast as a wheel, but it's more portable and you can get a lot done. I'ts much less expensive, too. You can make several drop spindles and have several projects going with different wools at the same time, too.

I got my first wheel off craigslist for under $100 but still like spinning on my drop spindles.

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Glad you're having so much fun! You can make a drop spindle with a piece of dowel and a couple of CD's - google 'make a CD drop spindle' . Spinning on a drop spindle is not as fast as a wheel, but it's more portable and you can get a lot done. I'ts much less expensive, too. You can make several drop spindles and have several projects going with different wools at the same time, too.

I got my first wheel off craigslist for under $100 but still like spinning on my drop spindles.
I was debating getting a drop spindle, but I don't have the patience :hide

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Alpaca fleece is out and drying!
image.jpeg

Second half of Rosie's wool is being washed

Here is the first half! For a small sheep she sure has lots of wool
image.jpeg

The lighting makes it look yellow, but I assure you it is white :)