Worming older goat with ivermectin? Update

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
16 is an old girl, you are awesome to care so much about her. The dose I usually see for Safeguard is 1cc /10 lbs. ...this is the liquid for goats. Ivermectin I use 1 cc / 50 lbs.

saltnpepper

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
16 is an old girl, you are awesome to care so much about her. The dose I usually see for Safeguard is 1cc /10 lbs. ...this is the liquid for goats. Ivermectin I use 1 cc / 50 lbs.

I can see how so many people say that safeguard doesn't work. Sounds like their dosage is way under.

saltnpepper

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Have you considered getting a dog or foal blanket? I would sew a handle strap on the top so you could grab it to pull her up.

If she has a heavy worm load the die off can form a toxin which can affect her. Plus, there may be intestinal damage if she's been infected for a long period. The absorption of needed vit/min, proteins, electrolytes may be compromised and you may want to ask the vet about some concentrated nutrition for a while until she comes around. Just a thought. These smaller animals do not have the volume capacity so concentrates often work better to offset some of the need with more availability from which to draw.

Thank you. I have been considering what more we can do to support her nutritionally while she recovers. She definitely has no lack in appetite.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
How about a little Calf Manna added to her feed? And I mean "a little"...whatever the bag suggest for her size and then lock it away. :lol:

You've heard of 'manna from heaven'? Well that is what the goats think this stuff is. More is not better but it is a really good supplement.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
OMG that is way under dosing
You need an accurate weight and 1cc per 10 lbs...
3days id for average load for high loads it should be 5 days.
Remember it kills 4th stage. So running a fecal to check for efficacy should be done several days after treatment. You really want to repeat to kill all stages.
If this were my goat I would do the 1cc/10# for 5 days then 2weeks later ivermectin 1cc 30-50 # ( we do 40 lbs) and repeat ivermectin every 10 days for 30 days.

I stepped away before finishing this post so I saw several have already shared this info about the safeguard.

Of course you should always work with your vet. We are not vets and manage our herds according to our experiences and our different vets.

As far as the calf manna it is good but be very careful. Especially a doe that old... too much protein can do more harm than good.
Giving probiotics will help with her gut as well. Beet pulp is a good supplement.

saltnpepper

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
This is 16 yr old Aleshia. She has been separated from her 13 yr old niece Pepper because Pepper has horns and way to rough for Aleshia now.
She comes out of her pen and gets into the hay. She's steady with no obstacles on clear floor, but you'll see her stumble when she moves too quickly from floor back into straw/shavings. Once she's back in and standing in it, she's okay.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
She looks pretty good for 16 yrs old. Have you owned her all this time? And a 13 year old niece...you must be doing something right. :)

saltnpepper

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
She looks pretty good for 16 yrs old. Have you owned her all this time? And a 13 year old niece...you must be doing something right. :)

Thank you!
Just over 13 years ago, Aleshia's owner let me know that Aleshia's sister just had two girls that were in need of a home. A few months after we got Salt and Pepper, Aleshia conveniently needed a home. (I think that was the plan all along..lol.) She was 3 and has been my girl since.

saltnpepper

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Aleshia is still doing well. Still needs help getting the front up, but seems to be trying more on her own. Definitely has attitude and very pushy once her feet are under her. (Thinks she runs the barn.)
I'm gonna give her system a break for a week or so and work on supplementing her nutrition. Then we'll dose with ivermectin. Fingers crossed that this will get her back on track.
Thank you all for your input.