Worming older goat with ivermectin? Update

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Glad she seems to be doing okay

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
As @Southern by choice said, best to work with the vet. But I am curious about oral vs injectable Ivermectin. At least with alpacas (for meningeal worm) it is a subcutaneous injection so I wouldn't think it would matter that she is bony. Wouldn't that mean more loose skin and make tenting easier??

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
As @Southern by choice said, best to work with the vet. But I am curious about oral vs injectable Ivermectin. At least with alpacas (for meningeal worm) it is a subcutaneous injection so I wouldn't think it would matter that she is bony. Wouldn't that mean more loose skin and make tenting easier??
Dewormers should be given orally to goats because they have very high metabolisms and it is much more effective given that way. Injecting it is very painful for the goat and is absorbed quickly into the bloodstream before it reaches the worms in the goat's rumen. Because it is not as effective, it leads to parasite resistance. I think the only time (I may be wrong) it should be injected is if they have mites.

This is from the Tennessee Meat Goat site for meningeal worm treatment:
Ivermectin was eliminated from the curative treatment protocol because researchers at Ohio State University found that it didn't penetrate the spinal column to kill the worms, so once neurological symptoms appeared, using Ivermectin was ineffective.

A skinny goat (I think) would be harder to give an injection to than a plump one.

saltnpepper

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you for your thoughts.
I've given as injection for skin issue on our other and it worked great. For internal parasites, I know is better oral, but wanted to know if anyone has had a bad experience doing so. I'm convinced it's the best thing for her. Just giving her a break between meds right now.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Dewormers should be given orally to goats because they have very high metabolisms and it is much more effective given that way. Injecting it is very painful for the goat and is absorbed quickly into the bloodstream before it reaches the worms in the goat's rumen. Because it is not as effective, it leads to parasite resistance. I think the only time (I may be wrong) it should be injected is if they have mites.

This is from the Tennessee Meat Goat site for meningeal worm treatment:
Ivermectin was eliminated from the curative treatment protocol because researchers at Ohio State University found that it didn't penetrate the spinal column to kill the worms, so once neurological symptoms appeared, using Ivermectin was ineffective.

A skinny goat (I think) would be harder to give an injection to than a plump one.

Thanks for the information. Yep, Ivermectin in alpacas is given as a prophylactic whenever the intermediate hosts (slugs and snails) are alive. That means when it isn't freezing ;) Given a doe had twins behind the pond INSIDE the fence last spring, there is no question I need to keep up with the Ivermectin regime. I don't know that she will do it again this year since the alpacas are there. It was fun watching the fawns run around when they dared to come out of hiding in the tall weeds.