Would you buy these rabbits at this price??

Tre3hugger

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have been researching rabbit breeders in my area and am about ready to make a deal with a small rabbit farm. West Meadow rabbitry, they breed "quality New Zealands for show and meat." He is asking 100$ for two rabbits from his "best meat production line." If I get three the 2nd doe will be a bit younger not quite ready to breed, and it would be $125 for the unrelated trio. Do you think this is a good deal? Here is a picture of the 2 I am Thinking I def want to get, the buck and the doe.
IMG_20210228_164250.jpg

IMG_20210228_164229.jpg

They seem alert and their housing seems clean/adequate. Does this seem reasonable to you guys? Would you choose these rabbits? I would really appreciate any advice you can give me. I am very close to pulling the trigger on this one. This is their website.

Fishychix

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Personally? No. I paid $80 for both of my American Blues, meat breed also, because I knew they are a threatened breed and also dress out nicer than NZ and have blue fur, which I like. But no, that sounds way too high to me.

Edited to add: when we had Rex, we paid $30(?) each and they were from show champs.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
What is your plan for them? For the NZ most breeders I know discourage breeding the different colors due to getting non showable colors. For a show quality trio I think that's a fair price. We paid $50 for our NZ buck, from good show stock.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I guess it depends on what area prices are for you. They seem pretty small for a meat rabbit, especially a NZ. And that price? A good meat rabbit goes for around $20 here and they taste the same as the rabbits that cost $50, I'm betting. In my area those prices would be laughable but in your area they may be pretty standard....which is a shame.

So, hard to give you advice without knowing the prevailing prices for NZ meat rabbits in your area....but coming from where I live there's no way I'd pay that much and for that small of rabbits.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
I guess it depends on what area prices are for you. They seem pretty small for a meat rabbit, especially a NZ. And that price? A good meat rabbit goes for around $20 here and they taste the same as the rabbits that cost $50, I'm betting. In my area those prices would be laughable but in your area they may be pretty standard....which is a shame.

So, hard to give you advice without knowing the prevailing prices for NZ meat rabbits in your area....but coming from where I live there's no way I'd pay that much and for that small of rabbits.
I was assuming they were young... but yes weights of them and their parents would be great, plus how much they weighed at 8 -10 weeks would be good.

Tre3hugger

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
What is your plan for them? For the NZ most breeders I know discourage breeding the different colors due to getting non showable colors. For a show quality trio I think that's a fair price. We paid $50 for our NZ buck, from good show stock.
They will be for meat first, selling extras second, and showing probably never. Good to know people have paid that much for a show quality buck though of this breed. Thanks!

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
If they are show quality, then that price might be warranted. Are they old enough to breed and are you getting their pedigrees? The guy I bought my Rex from started at $40 and price went up as they aged. You might want to bring a scale to check their weight, if the seller objects they might be hiding something.