WVDuckchick's BYC Pond

Jessimom

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Lol I'm hatching my last eggs for this summer. Promised my husband this summer wont end up like last summer lmao. Last lockdown is next week. Hatching is an addiction lol

That's so true!! It helped that I am running out of room to put the babies. I made the mistake of hatching a LOT of tiny bantams, and they can't easily be integrated with the older bigger babies I have. I think that helped quite a bit. I also have a friend that orders eggs....if she doesn't have a broody, I hatch them for her! I get to hatch, and don't have to brood!!! That helps with my hatching obsession!!

Good luck with your hatch!! What are you hatching?

Jenniferlamar70

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
That's so true!! It helped that I am running out of room to put the babies. I made the mistake of hatching a LOT of tiny bantams, and they can't easily be integrated with the older bigger babies I have. I think that helped quite a bit. I also have a friend that orders eggs....if she doesn't have a broody, I hatch them for her! I get to hatch, and don't have to brood!!! That helps with my hatching obsession!!

Good luck with your hatch!! What are you hatching?
Good idea on hatching for friends. We have a baby do in July so she will be taking up any free time lol. I have a silkie/black east indie in the incubator now and some Welsh harliquins due next week. I'm so excited lol. My husband makes fun of me all the time lol

Jessimom

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Good idea on hatching for friends. We have a baby do in July so she will be taking up any free time lol. I have a silkie/black east indie in the incubator now and some Welsh harliquins due next week. I'm so excited lol. My husband makes fun of me all the time lol

Congrats on the baby!! I can see where hatching should probably stop for a while.....

Ravyn

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Morning/Afternnon all!! Slow mornings on here are good! It's the only way I can keep up!!

Locked down some Birchen/Splash Maran eggs. Still have some AC and some OE eggs on day 7. With BYC being down, there are no 24 hour auctions to tempt me, and i've stayed off of Ebay...I'm staying strong - NO NEW EGGS!!!

Arr you suuuuure????

I might have some extra eggs laying around........ :D ;)

Jessimom

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Arr you suuuuure????

I might have some extra eggs laying around........ :D ;)

I have some awesomely beautiful birds from eggs I've gotten from you, so this was just mean....lol

The November hatched silkies that all appeared to be girls, turns out had 2 boys. They are just NOW starting to get streamers. One started crowing. The other is dancing for the ladies, but hasn't made a peep. The blue egg layers, I have a couple of boys, only 1 started crowing, but 2 others are getting some pretty red combs. So, I have a LOT more hens, than roos from eggs you've sent!!!

Jenniferlamar70

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Just wanted to give an update. My black east indie hatched. Its doing great. Still fluffing out in the bator. Quick question. Tried letting it fluff up in the brooder with the calls but the bigger one is being mean to it. They are only a few days apart. Is this going to be an issue? Will they get along?

Ravyn

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have some awesomely beautiful birds from eggs I've gotten from you, so this was just mean....lol

The November hatched silkies that all appeared to be girls, turns out had 2 boys. They are just NOW starting to get streamers. One started crowing. The other is dancing for the ladies, but hasn't made a peep. The blue egg layers, I have a couple of boys, only 1 started crowing, but 2 others are getting some pretty red combs. So, I have a LOT more hens, than roos from eggs you've sent!!!

I couldn't resist! ;)

So glad you got more pullets than cockerels!!! And anytime you want more......... ;)

Just wanted to give an update. My black east indie hatched. Its doing great. Still fluffing out in the bator. Quick question. Tried letting it fluff up in the brooder with the calls but the bigger one is being mean to it. They are only a few days apart. Is this going to be an issue? Will they get along?

Use hardware cloth or wire mesh basket or similar to keep them together, but separate for just a couple days... new hatched needs to find its legs properly, gain strength, and they need ti get to know each other before setting them loose all together... then they *should* get along... :)

Jenniferlamar70

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I decided to put it back in the hatcher last night to be on the safe side. Tried again this morning and they seem to all be getting along now. Little one has its footing now and is all fluffy like the rest. They weren't really attacking it but nibbling its feathers strongly. I'm think it was because it was still damp and had a spikey fluff still. I'm supervising this morning so if anything changes ill run and make a seperator. Right now they are all napping together so hopefully a good sign. :)

WVduckchick

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks to all the BYH folks for allowing us BYC folks to pop in and use your site. BYC is back open, so things should be returning to normal. If anyone enjoyed the Pond antics, feel free to pop over to BYC and join us there!

:frow

Latest posts