Your thoughts on herbal wormers

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I am one who likes to stick with proven remedies and most of the herbs are not proven. That being said, I am finding out a lot of the chemicals are not really either.

What you said about the herbs not being meant to unload a lot of worms makes sense. They really arent meant to do anything, they are natural substances and that is what they DO. My understanding is that the way the herbals are believed to work is they poison the worms. In many cases, the herbs would poison the goats too, at high doses. So you give regular, low doses. I suspect a dose large enough to kill off a large load of worms would be detrimental to the goat.

That is where the chemicals supposedly differ from the herbs. The pharmaceuticals are designed to be targeting whereas the herbs are just doing what they do naturally.

Even though I am an herbal wormer skeptic, I like to see discussions like this. None of us will ever know what works until we try it. This allows everyone to share their data. I am much more inclined to believe herbs may work when someone says I have used them for 5 years and never lost a goat than I am when someone who is trying to sell me their herbal says it works and has no empirical data to back up their statement.

All of this is far from a scientific double blind test. Just because it worked for one person doesnt guarantee the herbals work, just that persons goats under those conditions do not have worm problems. They might just have worm resistant goats. Also remember what CM said- if it works all winter but not in the summer, it might not be doing anything at all.

I do know someone who swears that he keeps his goats healthy by turning them out periodically in a field of plants that are supposedly poisonous. He says the goats will eat just enough to kill the worms and not themselves. He says he hasnt wormed a goat in 10 years. Maybe he is onto something; maybe all of his susceptible goats have already died and are out of his herd.

Keep sharing your experiences. Eventually we will get this figured out or we will get the wormy goats out of the gene pool trying.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Well I'm on the fence about both purchased chemical dewormers and herbal chemical dewormers. I mean, that's all the herbs are doing right? Using different chemicals? For example, some folks use tobacco to deworm because it's "natural", but in order for it to really have an effect you have to give high doses with is also (surprise) toxic for the goat.

And using herbal dewormers for 5 years and not losing goats is great, but Ivermectin was also used, FWIW. I definitely think that animals can thrive without conventional dewormers, but not in all situations/herds/flocks/areas, etc.

rebelINny

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
They didn't develop high counts on the herbal wormer, that is my point, they already had high counts cause I didn't worm them out with something stronger first. The herbs maintain the low count.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
rebelINny said:
They didn't develop high counts on the herbal wormer, that is my point, they already had high counts cause I didn't worm them out with something stronger first. The herbs maintain the low count.
You said you dewormed them with herbals all spring and summer, right?

rebelINny

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I actually think I started the wormer in Sept. so no not spring and summer. I had used Ivomec in the spring once.

mully

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
Mully - how many goats do you have and how big of a pasture are they in? I'm just curious because I'm trying to find my way with 17 goats on about an acre.
I have 21 goats on 2.5 acres but I split the herd... I have 9 on 3/4 acre (smaller ..younger) and 12 on about 1 3/4 acre. Mostly boer does and a few wethers as I do not keep bucks.

mrssmitho

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Howdy all! and a very Happy New Year!!!
I am fixing to get my first goats...so, of course I have to read everything:D. We have chickens, turkeys, a couple cows...and I try to be all organic. Mostly due to the fact I am cheap and it works. There is a LOT more work involved and I am NOT afraid to use commercial if I have to...but I do like knowing I can grow most of my critters "well being"...and did I mention it is cheap?

My opinion on worming: I grow pumpkins for their nutritional value and for the seeds for all the critters in the natural de-wormer field.

Cheyenne pepper is also a wonderful, immediate, de-wormer.

for those who can find the seed, a new one for me is Epazote. Check it out on this link...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dysphania_ambrosioides

We do use commercial wormers for the dogs...but I am going to try the carrots. That is just way too cool!!

Thank you for the giggles and defiantly the info!!!!!

Our7Wonders

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Welcome!!!

I have heard of pumkin seeds as a natural wormafuge and am going to grow some specifically for my goats this next year.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out soon.

mrssmitho

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I had never heard of the Espazolte...but the lady I am getting my goats from gave me some seed. If I have a good seed crop, I'll offer up some to share:D

Latest posts