10 month pups- PT and new pics :)

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well coyotes are very active of course with the deer rut! I love knowing my babies (goats) are very well protected. Last week dogs were nuts... could hear the coyotes... well at 1 am hearing the extreme commotion I went out and took the flashlight with me!
I can see the coyote down by the fenceline (far side) it was hauling... Thankfully dogs were behind hard fence and not just wire... I saw the one but I think it must have been just late to the "party". Son looked around the next morning and didn't see a deer. But he only went down the one path... he came back the other day with some pics. The overhead buzzards gave it away... Yep yotes got a deer picked it over and tore it apart. It was down the trail on the opposite end. Buzzards picked the rest of it clean.

Kinda funny watching the buzzards circling... 30 ft in the air and Blue leaping in the air like he was going to get those "bad birds".

Anatolians may be harder to work with poultry but ya know they are funny about "birds that don't belong". Pyrs are too but the pyrs don't care about crows but won't let anything like a hawk or an owl come down... a toli... nah... NO foreign bird ever. The Toli's also like everything to be "in it's place". This goes here that goes there ... not your field... that's your field.
Starting to think Anatolians may be a little OCD! :lol:

The pups are BIG and POWERFUL now. Just about to turn 10 months.
deer bones.png

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Great update, thanks for all the "grown up" pics! :love Glad that you are doing better, we really missed you on here. :hugs Uhhh.....on this moving to a bigger place thing......you know there's LOTS of room in TEXAS! just had to throw that out there....... :lol:

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
My toli will sit and bark for hours at a buzzard on a telephone pole, she also barks at crows and low flying hawks. She has learned that the chickens are ok, IF they are always in her field. A new one better watch out.

My dogs have been going crazy at night. We have new neighbors and I apoligized the other day for the barking and he said that he didn't mind it and that now he can tell which dog is barking and how serious they are about their job. He is talking to them and trying to get them to stop barking at his car. Our old neighbor used to to yell and curse at them and now the dogs bark at every car that goes into their driveway. Good neighbors are a blessing.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
How many of Callie and D's boys do you have left now?

We kept some for started and trained dogs. Too many people just cannot put in the time for a pup. So "PT" (also known as "pocket Toli" when he was a baby and now "Pete" or PT) is ready... we will be making him available for placement. I really like him! It is funny how he was the runt. WAS being the key word there... he is super tall. Excellent instincts and developed them early. Very independent. Holds a grudge easily with the other dogs... if one of the dogs "cheap shots" him it is on in his mind.
We also have "Silver". Silver is staying longer through first kidding. He is a little "controlling". :p Super sweet very watchful and laid back... just controlling of small goats. It is like he thinks they are babies and doesn't like them going here and there... tries to keep them up by the barn. :rolleyes: Only with little goats. He would be fine for full size goats. Sounds strange but this dog has the most beautiful eyes I have ever seen, has an expression that just doesn't get picked up in photos. He is a very happy go lucky dog.
Then there is "Not Leo" (ridiculous name)... we have a contract on him but there are some setbacks. Either way it will be very hard on the family here, he is a favorite, no matter where he goes it will be hard. For me, yes, it will be difficult. I do get very attached and each is very different. Not Leo has been the most surprising and interesting dog I have seen in all my years of canines. I have thought many times of keeping him and utilizing him as a LGD but also a therapy dog. I have been around alot of amazing dogs in my career but this one... truly unique. This is a dog you wish somehow you could "clone" ... of course not really- not into that cloning thing but he is that amazing.
"Blue" is staying. :)
This is Blue at 7 weeks. Looking back at my old thread I called him "My Boy". This is also the one that the co-owner of Callie picked.

From March 17,2015 http://www.backyardherds.com/thread...es-teaching-moments.30359/page-36#post-386876
The co-owner of Callie saw the pups today.... LOL He picked the same dog I picked as "my dog". He informed me that the dog was not going anywhere it will be his dog.

Funny how we both picked this dog. Blue loves him too and he rarely sees him.
He co-owns the litter so I guess there isn't much I can say.:D
Blue is dominant and a handful. So I absolutely adore him! :lol:
My kind of dog. Stubborn, obstinate, arrogant... BUT super smart and knows what I want, knows what to do, when to do it and is highly independent. He is best buds with "Chunk". His mother Callie adores him. It is pretty funny. He is her favorite. He always "looks" like he is blowing you off but he really isn't. He is very watchful very intuitive very protective of all that is his. Good with people but knows they are not "his" people so he acts like he is too good for everyone. It is quite ridiculous really but that is what I love about him. He can size up a situation in a second.
sam_5866-jpg.7591

Green and Orange were 2 of my other picks. For different reasons.
Each is different and it is a blessing to be able to raise trained dogs. Still considering waiting til spring. That way they can go with goats going to their new homes. Good for the dogs and good for the kids.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
The thread title is coyotes and buzzards... Can I add cottontail rabbits?

I have quite a few around here, which is why the foxes and coyotes like this area as well. Mel did scare a/the fox away from the coops a while back. Saw the fox tracks in the snow alongside the run on the other side of the fence keeping Mel in. Over the past week or so he's taken to standing at the fence alongside the house between the house and garage, right outside where my bedroom is, barking his head off at 3 am. When he lights off, I typically go out to see what has him riled up to (try and) train what's OK and what isn't and praise him for being such a good dog. If he barks a few times and isn't "serious" about it, I leave him be.

Had a howling wind and snow last night. Was only right about 32, so not really all that cold. He lit off and wouldn't stop. Couldn't see what he was so upset about. Finally had to take him inside to get him to stop. So just a short while ago he lit off again. Went out to see what gives. Couldn't see anything. Have started thinking "Dang - Looks like I'm developing a barker :(" Well after standing out there with him for a few minutes, I caught movement and it was a cottontail rabbit that went running off down the driveway to the road and swale. The way he acted, you'd have thought it was a wolf! Had I been an unwanted guest, I wouldn't have challenged him.

Now I have to try and get him to understand we don't have to bark at rabbits. If that fence hadn't been there, he'd have chased that rabbit from here clear into Denver I think. He was that serious about it! Well, at least now I know what he's lighting off about. His bark is very loud, and I really don't want to tick off the neighbors. I have to find a place with more land and space... soon.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
My dogs are 200' from my house and I can hear them at night but not enough to bother me. The neighbors are closer to them than I am. We have new neighbors, renters, and they don't mind the dogs, the owners of the house hated them. Ever since the owners moved and took their GSD with them my dogs have been especially noisy at night. Neither of mine bark at shadows or falling stars but since the neighbor dog is gone (it was never penned) I guess other critters have decided that this is a safer place to hang out, plus I have the only source of water for wildlife (really for birds and wild turkeys) so that is an attractive nuisance. I can never see what the dogs are barking at, too far away, too dark, and when they are barking like their life depends on it I am absolutely not going out there; they are telling me something too...stay in the house. :)

When you teach yours that rabbits are ok let me know how you did it so I can teach mine that crows are ok.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
It is good he is barking. And trust me that isn't a "barker".
He is young still and they find their voice as well as they learn their job at this stage. Over time they become more discerning.

My neighbors don't care about the barking either and we have 14 dogs, in 4 fields. But I will say if ALL the dogs are going nuts I am looking to see why. My dogs have a more intense bark when it is a human threat.

A few months back they were intense about the cat. Now they know cat is our cat and they don't bark at her.

My adult dogs don't bark at deer anymore. The young ones do. They'll learn. Glad they don't as we need the deer in our freezer.;)

The other thought is this time it may have been a rabbit and you saw it but most of the time you cannot see what they see or smell. Always trust the dog even when you don't see what it is. If I say enough and they al stop then I know it is probably not a big deal out there but if I say alright enough and they keep going then I know to trust them.

Glad Mel found his voice. I remember when you were concerned that he didn't bark.:lol: LOL Mel should't be a big barker he was evaluated as companion dog with LGD traits.

How does he do in the truck and taking him out and about?