10 month pups- PT and new pics :)

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Texas now has an open carry law that goes into effect in January.

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
I can't wait for it. Out here and down by my dad most people carry loaded shot guns. When farming they have pistols strapped. Never know when a snake, or predator, will come within aiming distance.

I carry at my dad's. Here the dogs are my varmint protection. If I see a snake or rat or opossum or anything dangerous, I say "moush" ( like mouse, but shhh ). If we're clearing or moving downed logs from all the cutting we've been doing the dogs are sent into the piles first.

This is usually the outcome:

IMG_20151011_091148.jpg

These dogs, however, don't bond with the livestock. The puppy in the back will eat the pigs and quail if we're not paying attention. :hide she has got training to do yet.

Your dogs always have me dreaming, Southern. One day. Hopefully soon.

We looked at more puppies today. But I'd rather a started dog! Those boys are gorgeous! I'd love to have a bunch of LGD guarding our goats. I'll just drool over yours until then. ;)

Last edited:

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Ferguson K Awww! GOOD DOGS!
That sure made me smile. Reminds me alot of "Lucy"... our super mutt... 1/2 Boxer 1/2 lab- runt of her litter.
(i wrote about her here- http://www.backyardherds.com/thread...es-teaching-moments.30359/page-35#post-386636)

Like your dogs she will kill a possom, coon or any other small rodent/predator in a second... she is old now but still super fast.
BUT she will only do it on command!:) I love that about her. It is good too because we don't want her all through the woods killing off wildlife. It is just for when said animals are in an area they ought not be. ;) She will ferret out a rogue chicken, move turkeys around pretty much anything you tell her.
Well kinda... she is getting old and sometimes she "decides" she doesn't want to listen when I say go to the house or enough - stop barking. Ahhh I figure she's earned a little grace. :D

Thanks on the LGD pups. They sure are special.

Had a terrible day. This evening we had a tragic accident and buried one of our best goats.:hit Cried for hours. The dogs were very upset when the vet came... of course when anyone "messes" with a goat we have to lock them up. They were ballistic. After all was said and done you know where I went... yeah, to my dogs.

Awesome guardians but there is that whole other side of them.
There is something so unique about a great LGD they really do touch the heart and soul of their owner. My "Chunk" (pyr) is alot like his Uncle "D" (the sire to the pups) he is so intuitive he came up and just rested his face by mine... calm... looked into his eyes and it is as if there doesn't need to be any words. The dog knew my heart was broken.

If I can offer one bit of advice- make sure you spend time with your LGD pup- when you get one. They truly are partners on the farm and they so much more than a guardian when you bond tightly with them.

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
oh, Southern I'm so sorry about your loss. it is so hard to lose any of them but 'one of the best' is somehow harder. hang in there and take care of yourself.:hugs

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am so sorry you lost one of your best goats. Why does it always have to be your favorite or best? Just not fair. Big hugs, really sorry.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
We had visitors today. Looking at the LGD's.
Wonderful family. Well prepared. Came from out of state.
They actually need about 4 LGD's ... but for now 2.
I explained how it is rare for me to place siblings- kind of a rule but these guys are started and work well together. The pair I have selected are very balanced. They will leave in December. A 30 day trial will be in effect. This is completely different livestock so we need to make sure they acclimate etc.

We are hoping the adjustment goes well. Pups did great with the family and Callie and "D" ...well they are just always impressive.
"D" is a massive dog and his head and face is enormous. When he came up to see the family of course he had to say Hi to the children. You could kinda see the look on everyone's face like- um- his mouth is at face level... I told them "D" is a solid dog he wants to give a kiss- his way is a nose touch- the children were great. D nosebumped and relished in the love. Rolled over for a belly rub.
Callie stayed with their one child as to just "be with him" I wish I had gotten a picture.

Blue we moved out of the way. Blue is sweet, but how he knows I am not sure, but he knows he is staying here and is "my" dog. So basically he is not interested in the "outsiders". :rolleyes: My brat! :lol:

I couldn't resist- since "D" was brought up we put him in a holding pen... after they headed home I just had to take D in. I miss my boy. He stinks so bad because he lives with bucks but I just didn't care. He is in the house :weee.
Badger is out and MAD! :somad
D will head out here soon- he is hot in the house and panting. :(
He is my heart. :love
Yes he does think he is still a lap puppy. :D

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
:loveLoved those "little" pup photos and can never get enough photos of ALL your dogs!!! And you are so right...when I am having a hard time...my pet dogs are great...but something very different about how Keera consoles me more deeply. So glad I have followed your dogs and the LGD thread on here for so many years dreaming...if not for you, would not have had my dream come true...life really is better with LGDs!

On the guns...Mississippi has had an open carry since this July...I will admit that I was not crazy for seeing a guy carrying in Walmart, but most people don't when shopping. I do not like guns I said...DH insisted I learn to shoot all his guns and when to use what and what ammunition...I gave in just to please him...then came the day when I was home alone and tending to the chickens and two pit bulls were after my sheep and when I yelled, they came for me and I remembered that shotgun in the feed shed, got extra ammo between my teeth (I was in a hurry) and yes...was very happy DH had given those lessons and made me practice. Forgot to hold it right and got quite the bruise on my right arm, but well worth it!!!! Since that time I no longer say I hate guns...still not very comfortable with them, but won't hesitate to use one when needed.

BlessedWithGoats

Herd Master
Reaction score
:hugsSouthern, cause it's not easy to let them go to another home, but you know that they have been trained very well, and have a good solid foundation! :hugs:hugs Their new owners can build upon that foundation, love them, and watch them grow and develop even more, into the great dogs they already are! :) :hugs<3 u and your dogs Southern!

Latest posts