10 month pups- PT and new pics :)

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I understand they see/hear/smell way beyond our ability! I mean over a month ago I was out there with him, saw nothing, heard nothing, and after about 10 minutes, a large fox/young coyote trotted across the road out front from one neighbors yard into another's. Until it crossed the road, I couldn't see it and would have never known it was there. I DO trust him and give praise even if I don't see what caused the issue.

You know, it is completely different than a "pet" dog. A pet dog barks more or less just to make noise. If you go up to them and put your hand on their neck or head they mostly stop and look up at you wanting praise for their singing. They normally aren't "rigid" and "focused". When Mel is lit off, and even when he's barking like he (knows, I) THINK there's something out there, he is wound up tight like an overloaded spring waiting to be sprung, and focused like nothing I've experienced before. When I finally break his focus, he walks around in circles kind of whining and trying to get back in focus... trying to reacquire whatever it was he was so intent on. I mean, you can almost feel him quivering all over with tension. Like I said, had that fence not been there, he'd have been gone!

He does well in the truck. Takes up the entire back seat. Can't decide if he wants to be on the floor (he can't fit curled up on either side of the center hump anymore) or up on the 3 seat sectional... He does well with other people and doesn't seem to care one way or another about other dogs. It's been a while and I really need to get him out and in contact with other dogs again now that he's more "mature" (becoming a "male"). I took the harness off him months ago so only use it when needed. He does well but he doesn't, and I haven't tried to train him, to "heal". He stays pretty much by my side unless distracted by women... he gravitates toward women... ANY women. If I experience a woman thief, it's all over... I'll lose everything! Wonder why that is Southern? ;) :lol::hugs

To let him know it's ok, I've just been focusing on what he's focusing on and scratching his head and neck while telling him "It's OK, that's enough" Until he calms down and relaxes a bit, as I said above. He'll break focus and kinda walk in circles whining and growling... Happened again last night at 3:30 am. After I got him to relax a bit, I went around front and walked that rabbit out of the yard, down the driveway and across the street so he (hopefully) wouldn't lock onto it again. He watched me.

I completely understand where you're coming from Babs... but if he's seriously upset about something, he's all by himself and still young. I want to be there to help him if something goes down and he needs help. Who am I kidding LOL I'd go check even if I had 6 dogs! Call me nosey...;)

I am extremely happy that I have Mel and very happy with him and his progress!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Latestarter...call me afraid of the dark. I got the dogs more for me than for my goats and if they are quiet I am brave; when they bark I take notice and head for the house. We have some creepy people that are squatters near me and I will take the wildlife over them anytime but my dogs don't tell what the threat is so I assume the worse. I really hate it when I am at the barn and they light up. I really need to learn to carry the gun DH bought me, but I hate guns. :hide

He stays pretty much by my side unless distracted by women... he gravitates toward women... ANY women. If I experience a woman thief, it's all over... I'll lose everything! Wonder why that is Southern? ;) :lol: :hugs

:yuckyuck

Last edited:

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I personally have never understood the reason or reasoning behind "hating guns". That to me is like saying I hate knives... equally as deadly if used for said purpose. But it is what it is right? You really SHOULD learn and get comfortable with them. :old There may (God forbid) come a time when you will wish that you had. :hide It is really nothing more than a tool of equalization... It make you the equal of whatever is coming at you, be it a stronger/bigger/equally armed human or some wild animal.

I'm actually surprised that you are in the state of CA and are "allowed" (aside from the fact that it's a natural and guaranteed right) to even possess one. Isn't there a CA law that requires all law abiding citizens to remain unarmed and defenseless against any and all criminals including state sponsored ones? :duc:hide OK.. all who read this now know my #1 hot button! :somad:rant:tongue

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
LOL so he loves the women huh? :) I don't know Latestarter... maybe he is just your "chick" magnet.;) :lol: :lol: :lol:
(hey- it could work- just sayin')

I would wait til you get on more land for an addition. Neighborhood living for a pair is hard unless the other dog is rated for companion also but then you run the risk of not having an aligned team.

It is always so hard to explain to those that are getting their first LGD or those that do not know about the nature of these dogs. I tell people all the time about that "switch" that goes on... always hard to put into words but I tell most ... when you see it you will be in awe. You are seeing a small bit of that now... once you have livestock and are on land you will not be able to break that focus for anything. That is what I love! Always makes me smile as I know I can trust the dog. So glad you love Mel. :)

Oh LS- I am always amazed at the ignorance of the anti- gun folks.
Our founding fathers KNEW what they were doing.

11693919_1069519049738497_4024786529738684172_n.jpg

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Latestarter...call me afraid of the dark. I got the dogs more for me than for my goats and if they are quiet I am brave; when they bark I take notice and head for the house. We have some creepy people that are squatters near me and I will take the wildlife over them anytime but my dogs don't tell what the threat is so I assume the worse. I really hate it when I am at the barn and the light up. I really need to learn to carry the gun DH bought me, but I hate guns. :hide

:yuckyuck

I think I know what you mean Babs...
A gun is just a gun. It has a specific purpose. Just "having a gun" can be dangerous thing... knowing how to use one, practicing skill etc is what saves lives and makes difference.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
When my dogs wake me up, I tap the window glass. If it is not serious, they look toward the window and shut up. If there is something out there, they still bark. You might want to try it. It takes awhile, but they learn the difference from serious or just barking. Paris used to bark all night when we lived in town. People walked up and down the street at all hours, motorcycles, other dogs, cats, acorns falling, anything and everything. Since moving, she is a different dog. Quiet. Hardly ever barks and when she does, it is more like a warning and then she goes quiet.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Two of the started pups are slated to go to their potential new farm. It will be a trial run as this is livestock they have never been around or guarded. Generally I put them with goat only farms. Sometimes there are exceptions but they are raised with goats and they love goats.
Anyway decided PT needed to finally come out of his field and get more comfortable with being walked around etc. He hasn't been out of his field since about 4 months old.

When we raise up started dogs we limit the "extra" activities as we never know what their new farm will do, and don't want deep bonding and a routine so set it could cause acclimation issues.

First our harnesses do not fit any of the dogs now so we had to add a bit to it to just get it on him... lol he was fine with it. Didn't want to pull on his collar when he isn't use to it... don't want trachea issues.
He did great ... til he came through all the gates.:p

My DD had him (my future trainer) she is very gifted and works amazingly with the dogs. BUT he wouldn't leave the outside of the gate. Took a few steps and stayed there... kept looking back at the gate and his field.

Hmmmm.... ok

I walked out to him... told him come on boy it's ok. He went 10-15 feet and sat looking at the field. So I told him come with momma (yes I am "mommy" :p) He walked up to the house sniffing everything...checking out the cat...

Now came the big test... THE HOUSE! Stood in the doorway and wasn't moving. :lol:

Because I want his "out of the field" experience to be all positive I didn't push it. But my other DD gave me the look ... she said do we need to do the "----------------------- of confidence".
I smiled and said yep!

No I will not tell you what the ------------------------- of confidence is.
Trainers secret. :cool:

Within a minute he was in the house loving all the attention and exploring. When it was time to go back out he was great.

Got a few pictures after we took him back out... the cockeyed too tight harness was still on. :D

Got some heights today- 32 1/2 " :ep

Weights tomorrow. (I am sick, so too tired to do anymore for the day):sick
Not Leo Centered-
Wingin' it Farms LGD pups in training 10 months Anatolian-Pyrenees (1).JPG

PT to the back Not Leo up front
Wingin' it Farms LGD pups in training 10 months Anatolian-Pyrenees (3).JPG

PT
Wingin' it Farms LGD pups in training 10 months Anatolian-Pyrenees (4).JPG

PT standing / Not Leo red collar /Sillver to the back
Wingin' it Farms LGD pups in training 10 months Anatolian-Pyrenees (5).JPG

PT
Wingin' it Farms LGD pups in training 10 months Anatolian-Pyrenees (6).JPG

My boys :love
Wingin' it Farms LGD pups in training 10 months Anatolian-Pyrenees (7).JPG

PT- Collars don't work well on these guys right now- their necks are huge they slide right over :rolleyes:
Wingin' it Farms LGD pups in training 10 months Anatolian-Pyrenees (8).JPG

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Latestarter, we can own a gun. Have to take a test, do a background check and wait 10 days (I think) and then we can own one. You can get a concealed weapons permit too...another class. The guns actually belong to DH. I have a handgun and a 12 gauge shotgun. I am a good shot, I won't miss...unless I am so scared that I can't hold still; that is why I like the shotgun the best, plus they will here me coming :)

Guns can just be so final and if they are in my hands I am making that decision and there will most likely not be anytime for debate with my self. I have to be ready to commit, and that thought frightens me.

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Isn't it nice that the "state" makes you think you need their permission to buy, own, carry (open OR concealed) or use a firearm? Or that you have to pay a fee to exercise that right? Our government is way beyond their authorized scope. And they just keep passing more illegal legislation allowing them to become more powerful and more out of control. Oops.. perhaps another hot button revealed! :rant:somad

The final determination that it is you or the other, and that lethal force is the only alternative is not an easy choice to make, but when that time comes, it's nice to be trained and ready and able if not so much willing. In many cases, just the knowledge that you are able and willing to protect yourself by the other can mitigate an otherwise deadly situation. With an animal, the sound of the gunshot with gravel thrown at it by a nearby bullet strike is generally effective without the need for lethal force. Again, without that option, your animals or you personally could become historical or dinner. Glad you at least know how if you need to...:clap nuff said :hide:duc

Chick magnet... LMAO! :gig:gig:gig:lol::lol::lol: Oh, trust me, the women LOVE him! Big old huggy bear! I don't even catch a glance, he gets all the attention, and I'm quite all right with that. After 2 bad runs at it, there won't be a third. I have my animals and my peace of mind, oh and kids and grand kids too! :D

Mel's brothers are lookin' good! Happy to hear more are getting ready to be placed! More happy owners! Gotta call fowl though on you teasing us with trade secrets... NO FAIR! :cool: Sorry you're still not well :( Hope you're doing what's best for you.

Edit to add: I won't be getting another LGD until I have a new place with more land, fully fenced, with enclosures, and something for them to guard.

Last edited:

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
the boys are so handsome! and not leo is still my favorite. love that boy. wish he had a ticket on a bus. and I'm with latestarter, secrets are just wrong. and mama always said that its nice to share, lol
@babsbag i understand how you feel about guns. i own several and am quite comfortable using all of them. have a concealed carry permit, the whole nine yards. I've used them to hunt and kill deer and other things, i have also used them to get rid of predetors but could i actually shoot someone, i don't know and i hope i never have to find out.

Latest posts