2020, Waiting on Lambs!

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Filled out 25 forms for BSSBA!
Need to get head shots of all 25 sheep.
Then print copies of all OE CoRs & NAB CoRs if the OE ones didn't show Codon result. And if neither show it, find the test results to send in.
o_O
After all those get sent in, accepted & returned, nearly all my sheep will be triple registered!
Jear Desus, help me! (Brandon Farris reference[FB])
And then!! I'll send in paperwork for the 5 lambs! :th
I'll be done for the year after that!

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think I need to divide the current 7 paddocks in half. The 8th paddock is too small to further split...Put them on a 4 day rotation will mean 60 days between first and 15th paddock. Or on a 5 day rotation, 75 days between.
With the arena in place & sheep constantly getting into it, I think setting up a fence around the arena and then further out to the run-off will make 2 more paddocks.
With that enclosed, it'll be 17 paddocks. 4 day rotation is 68 days between 1st n last. Or 5 day rotation is 85 days between 1st n last.
Or paddock 16 & 17 can be used for expecting ewes, with paddock 15 for moms & new lambs. Then they'll be moved onto rotation after several pairs are doing well, like this past spring.
20200704_160726.jpg

I tossed all the ewes & lambs out on the winter field because of barberpole worm. The alpacas and 6 adult rams moved onto rotation. They're more brave, so its easy to walk up to them to check eyes.

I'm already delaying breeding season a few weeks, so I'm hoping grass will grow better. And with the shorter rotation, the grass won't be eaten to dirt & ewes will be happier.

Back to adding dividers, I need to find something cheaper. Since they'll be moved more often, all together, I think I could get away with a shorter fence. I don't think that orange plastic fence will work, they're stubborn turds when it comes to shade. Thus, it cannot be a flimsy fence. It also cannot be electric, since they don't and won't respect it.
🤔 Still thinking of ideas...Maybe people have those electric mesh fences that are too frayed to zap and they'll sell it cheap?

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think I need to divide the current 7 paddocks in half. The 8th paddock is too small to further split...Put them on a 4 day rotation will mean 60 days between first and 15th paddock. Or on a 5 day rotation, 75 days between.
With the arena in place & sheep constantly getting into it, I think setting up a fence around the arena and then further out to the run-off will make 2 more paddocks.
With that enclosed, it'll be 17 paddocks. 4 day rotation is 68 days between 1st n last. Or 5 day rotation is 85 days between 1st n last.
Or paddock 16 & 17 can be used for expecting ewes, with paddock 15 for moms & new lambs. Then they'll be moved onto rotation after several pairs are doing well, like this past spring.
View attachment 75787
I tossed all the ewes & lambs out on the winter field because of barberpole worm. The alpacas and 6 adult rams moved onto rotation. They're more brave, so its easy to walk up to them to check eyes.

I'm already delaying breeding season a few weeks, so I'm hoping grass will grow better. And with the shorter rotation, the grass won't be eaten to dirt & ewes will be happier.

Back to adding dividers, I need to find something cheaper. Since they'll be moved more often, all together, I think I could get away with a shorter fence. I don't think that orange plastic fence will work, they're stubborn turds when it comes to shade. Thus, it cannot be a flimsy fence. It also cannot be electric, since they don't and won't respect it.
🤔 Still thinking of ideas...Maybe people have those electric mesh fences that are too frayed to zap and they'll sell it cheap?

Please don’t use electric netting if you don’t plan to charge it. Sheep get stuck and die in that type of fence all the time, especially if they are poorly/not charged.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Please don’t use electric netting if you don’t plan to charge it. Sheep get stuck and die in that type of fence all the time, especially if they are poorly/not charged.

It kills even when electrified.
The problem comes from it being a floppy fence on weak posts. Attach it tight to metal posts and it's safe. That's why I haven't bothered with the electric netting.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Forgot that I'll need tposts....so I went out this morning and got 20 of them.
Still gross out, will space out posts and roll out fence later tonight.
Might be able to pound them all into place around the arena tonight.
So very tired of chasing sheep out of the arena!! So much tiny poop!!!

Latest posts