A NEW DIRECTION FOR THE OLD RAM

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, a difficult but necessary decision TOR. Hard as it is it is best for both of you. Is the facility close to you so you can visit often? $550.000 - over half a million? ouch.

Best wishes for this transition in your lives.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
So sorry to hear that she is deteriorating so quickly. When mom got so bad, she and daddy went into a residence with an attached lock down for Alzheimers patients. They had been living out of state and we didn't realize how bad she had gotten. We brought them back to California and found a residential living facility. They also had "daycare" for those that were not as far along so the spouses could get some respite. Daddy said that he didn't realize how exhausting it had been to watch her. The first "daycare" event he slept the entire day because he was so tired! He didn't wake up until the nurses brought her back to their apartment!

Our love and prayers go to you. :hugs

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
G'day folks, I cannot believe it has been so long since I last visited.Much has happened, Jenny's condition is now that I cannot continue her care as I am not qualified in Memory Support and so the decision has been made to hand her care over to a aged care residential home where she will be supported by folks trained in the ongoing care of Dementia. The place chosen is about one and a half hours drive away and my plan is to see her in the afternoon and stay overnight with our youngest daughter and then visit in the morning before returning home to the farm. The bond required turned out to be $730K ,plus ongoings,the sale of the 40% will not quite cover this cost,but both the girls are going to advance us funds which will be part of their inheritance or until I have to sell the rest of the farm.

These changes means that we have to cease trading as a farm business until the situation is a lot clearer with regard to her ongoing care. Jenny scheduled to enter the first stage on Sep 20 for 4 weeks of respite,I do hope she settles OK as things cannot continue the way they are.

Further to the farm ,it has not stopped raining and in the last month alone we have had almost 120 mls.Everything is so wet and any travel has to be on foot unless I risk getting bogged.Because of the increased milking ability of the new ewes the lambs are growing really well grazing the few drier portions of the farm....T.O.R.

Attachments

• DSCN6351.JPG
    DSCN6351.JPG
    320 KB · Views: 41
  • DSCN6339.JPG
    DSCN6339.JPG
    374.3 KB · Views: 38

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
G'day folks, I cannot believe it has been so long since I last visited.Much has happened, Jenny's condition is now that I cannot continue her care as I am not qualified in Memory Support and so the decision has been made to hand her care over to a aged care residential home where she will be supported by folks trained in the ongoing care of Dementia. The place chosen is about one and a half hours drive away and my plan is to see her in the afternoon and stay overnight with our youngest daughter and then visit in the morning before returning home to the farm. The bond required turned out to be $730K ,plus ongoings,the sale of the 40% will not quite cover this cost,but both the girls are going to advance us funds which will be part of their inheritance or until I have to sell the rest of the farm.

These changes means that we have to cease trading as a farm business until the situation is a lot clearer with regard to her ongoing care. Jenny scheduled to enter the first stage on Sep 20 for 4 weeks of respite,I do hope she settles OK as things cannot continue the way they are.

Further to the farm ,it has not stopped raining and in the last month alone we have had almost 120 mls.Everything is so wet and any travel has to be on foot unless I risk getting bogged.Because of the increased milking ability of the new ewes the lambs are growing really well grazing the few drier portions of the farm....T.O.R.
Sorry about Jenny. Dementia is terrible. It does sound like you are making the best choices in this regard, but it doesn't change the fact that Dementia is ghastly.

The lambs look fantastic! :clap

Thanks for the update!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am so sad for you. I can surely sympathize with the situation after seeing what my father went through, keeping my mother at home. He had care takers come in 12 hours a day. It is a very difficult thing and I know you are doing what is best for her. I hope that she can settle in there and you can manage the farm and visits to her without wearing yourself out.

The lambs look absolutely fantastic.

You are in my thoughts and prayers, as well as everyone else's on here I am sure....

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you all for your support and kind words,i fear the next few weeks are going to be a test for both of us.

I think as long as I do not retreat into myself and keep in touch with other folk in the support group along with the support crew I have around me I will be OK. I am still doing thre radio program and last month started to include aspects of Dementia that the carer needs to be aware of based on my experience so far...T.O.R.

Latest posts