A NEW DIRECTION FOR THE OLD RAM

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I just posted a link to my squash thread on your FB page. Hope you don't mind. I thought maybe a discussion on raising treats for sheep might be of interest.

Kusanar

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
On my farm (totally different situation) we have about 10 acres of grass with 3 horses on it. In the spring and early summer the horses can't eat fast enough to keep up and we actually bale our entire winter supply of hay off of the pastures and still leave the grass 4-6 inches tall which quickly springs back up. My horses are still grazing now but we have started supplementing hay free choice to let them take some of the pressure off of the pasture but last time I walked up on top of the hill there was still knee high grass up there that they will clean up before they start seriously eating hay for the winter.

I am pretty much doing what you are though because all of the hay comes from the land, so the land is fully supporting the animals and all of the hay is fed back so it also goes back to the land in the form of trash hay and manure.

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
G'day folks,I have been invited by our local radio station to have a "chat" live on air about our sheep program and our farm management.It will happen at 11.15 am Aust eastern DST and will be live streamed if anyone is interested in listening.Here is a link.https://braidwoodradio.com.au/live-stream/ At the very least locals will be able to see what we have been up to for the last 20 years..T.O.R.

Kusanar

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
G'day folks,I have been invited by our local radio station to have a "chat" live on air about our sheep program and our farm management.It will happen at 11.15 am Aust eastern DST and will be live streamed if anyone is interested in listening.Here is a link.https://braidwoodradio.com.au/live-stream/ At the very least locals will be able to see what we have been up to for the last 20 years..T.O.R.
I may be able to catch that, it will be around 7:15PM here but I get off work at 5 and have to go to the farm and get hay out for the possible snow tomorrow so not sure how long that will take.

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
I may be able to catch that, it will be around 7:15PM here but I get off work at 5 and have to go to the farm and get hay out for the possible snow tomorrow so not sure how long that will take.
Hi the radio station just changed the time its now 10.20 AM..."it's now 8.50 am down here now...Sorry.T.O.R.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just saw this so not possible to live stream it. I still think it is nice that you are able to let locals know what you are doing and maybe they can pick up some pointers from you.

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just saw this so not possible to live stream it. I still think it is nice that you are able to let locals know what you are doing and maybe they can pick up some pointers from you.
"The real farmers",will not be impressed (because they know everything,just ask them).Yet to hear how it went,station manager is going to contact me later to chat about it. The presenter would not dwell on any one point but pushed on to the next part of the interview.If I do it again I want to just talk about one aspect of the subject so people can get a grasp of what we are trying to achieve...T.O.R...BTW the presenter was brand new ,first time on air,I think he was more "nervous" than me.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
This is a long shot but I was half listening to the BBC, half sleeping Sunday morning. There was something on about someone in Australia teaching people about land management and improvement, rotational grazing stuff *I THINK! (because I was half asleep)*
Would that be you or just a coincidence?