Reaction score
So here's James (The A******e)

James (1).jpg
James.jpg

Very cocky....well. I suppose that's reasonable

And here's Jimi

Blue Partridge boy (2).jpg
Blue Partridge boy.jpg

Jimi has a better gene profile for breeding variety. He's only 6 months old and so his saddle feathers, wattles etc have a way to grow. He'll about double in weight, too. He's nice and thick set and has a better personality....so who to keep is becoming a 'no-brainer'

Rammy

Herd Master
Reaction score
You have more patience tban I would. Id of shot him by now. Will NOT keep a mean rooster. Went thru about six before the k e I have nkw. Hes my avatar. Never has even thought about attacking me. Thats why hes not gone to freezer camp.......yet.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Jimi is beautiful! I hate mean roosters, have one now I keep a shovel handle for and have knocked him flat with it. One of these days I'll snatch him up and that will be the end of him. Our son likes real fried chicken, guess Mr. Meanie needs to be the star attraction.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Both are good looking, I don't think I'd want to deal with feather footed birds with the mud that you have though.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't think I'd want to deal with feather footed birds with the mud that you have though.
They cope remarkably well....but end up with foot snowballs when there's snow around. They manage very well in cold weather being both big (fat!) and feathery legged.

Those big boys can crow really loudly.....but nobody complains out here and they are far enough away from the house to be troubled by them. They go into the sheep shed to crow by day as the sound is amplified there.

Chickens are great for food waste....I've never used our food recycling bin once as the chickens will eat just about anything.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
I love having chickens and pigs. NOTHING goes to waste! LOL
How right you are. I don't have any pigs, but with sheep, lots of chickens, a dog and cat....that's pretty much every foodstuff catered for.....and most of my family can seriously EAT!

Granny Heeney

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
9volt looks SUCH a sweetie....and obviously a 'therapy bird' for you, Granny Heeney. I'd say he's pretty much priceless.

Now I have way too many roosters....I'm not counting....I hatched eggs across the summer and roosters seemed to predominate. Now I'm veggie......so I don't eat them. My old dog is a carnivore (of course!) and he loves rooster....OH dispatches them from time to time (I have to be well away).

Now I have largely big 'posh' birds.....huge Gold and Blue Partridge Brahmas which eat loads, don't lay that well, go broody at least 3 times a year, and as such, are totally inappropriate for me to keep.On the plus side they tend to have lovely dispositions and are friendly to a fault, plus they are 'eye candy' of the highest order. All this preamble is leading up to me talking about JAMES the Jerk......a full pedigree and lovely to look at (when it gets light I'll take some pics.) He is a true survivor......incubated from 'pedigree' eggs....survived an 8 hour power-outage (egg kept warm by old stove), survived me dropping and breaking his egg whilst candling....sealed up with pink nail varnish. Huge, beautiful, proud....and a total a******e! Uncharacteristic of his breed he REALLY is nasty. He has attacked me and most of my family. I am not afraid of him, and have chased, smacked and even managed to hit his head with my whiteboard eraser.

His days are now numbered. OH likes him!....says he's 'spirited'.....I don't see it that way.....I now see him as 10 lbs of dog meat. He's only survived this long due to his appearance, but good looks only go so far. If any roosters have shown aggressive tendencies in the past, they have undergone 'Three strikes and you're out'

Now James' Blue Partridge son is growing into a stunner, and has inherited his mum's placid ways. So.....there's a new Main Man on the block....and James won't be around too much longer.
Oh, *definitely* post some pics! That feller has to be gorgeous for you to put up with so much guff! :-o

Granny Heeney

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So here's James (The A******e)

View attachment 56063 View attachment 56064

Very cocky....well. I suppose that's reasonable

And here's Jimi

View attachment 56065 View attachment 56066

Jimi has a better gene profile for breeding variety. He's only 6 months old and so his saddle feathers, wattles etc have a way to grow. He'll about double in weight, too. He's nice and thick set and has a better personality....so who to keep is becoming a 'no-brainer'
They are amazing! :-o I have a soft spot for anything blue, but that cranky boy is show-stopping, too. It sure answered my question of whether anyone had ever owned an aggressive one. :(

Latest posts