A recent conversation

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Take out the heart.

Stock or.........catfish bait. Far superior to chicken livers because it will stay on the hook well and, you can fill it's now empty cavity with the smelly catfish bait of your choice. Channel cats will pass up both liver and gizzards for a chicken heart and you can usually catch several on the same heart before having to put on a new one.

You can make a wire hanger out of 3/16 thick wire that you slip the poultry's feet into to hang them upside down. A little rubber strap goes accross their breast to keep them from flopping and you just hold onto the head and do the deed with a sharp knife. I did several hundred this way decades ago, and everything but the feathers and good parts fell into a gut bucket below.
(Had a motorized drum plucker to pluck with)

Last edited:

Rammy

Herd Master
Reaction score
Why the "Eeewwwww" Rammy? :idunno Thought you were a farm girl? :hu Haven't you butchered any animals? I mean I know you've got a bunch of chickens, and you have the cows which will become meals for someone. My chickens never seem to grow and breast meat on them... o_O They get plenty of good stuff to eat, and are happy hunt and peck'ers. They just never develop breasts. :( Can feel their keel bone and nothing to either side.
Nope!! Never killed or gutted anything. If I did or do decide to butcher something, Im having someone else do it. I cant do it. Now, shooting a predator? No problem. But I aint gutting it.

Latest posts