AGH--Breeders & eating them

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
I made it once and it came out fine. Not great but fine. I have to figure out how to make the colors and scents. Essential oils I assume? What about colors?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
You might PM @babsbag as I know that she is or was a big time soap maker with her goats milk. It's one of the primary reasons she's opening a dairy. I believe that she even taught/teaches classes.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Goat brains! I personally appreciate having both goats and pigs. And this is why! Now I can make soap with just buying lye!

Thanks, I'll have to ask her... I'm across the country so I won't be stealing any business from her hehe :)

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Just as an aside, being as where you're at and all... the best lye is made using birch wood ash :hide And you don't have to buy that either. you make your own. And to test it for strength, you have chickens and only need a couple of their heavy feathers. When they dissolve, the lye is right. :D =D

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's ok that a "pig" thread became a sorta "goat" thread. I have both and do make soap. Have always used oils, not lard, because I didn't have it available, now I do.

Have always used products chemical free, even buy food grade lye. But may try a batch with the lard I have. I do use and sell the soaps -- generally at craft shows, some beauty shops, etc.

My grandmother always made her own lye, soap with lard from a butchered hog. In those days you did it or did without.

Soooo...on CL tonight I see sales for Mangalitsa pigs. Waaaay expensive. Looked it up and they are a breed that is a lard hog, very hairy -- in fact, some are curly -- and, overall, just a hairier, larger type of AGH. Except for price! Wow, I couldn't afford to butcher one. :th Don't know about personality but, the AGH is not naturally aggressive. Obviously you watch them but, normally not.

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
@luvmypets just acquired 3 Mangelitsa pig(let)s a couple of months ago. She has some pics up on her thread. One of them really does have a very curly haired coat. I haven't even started researching what I want for pigs yet... I'd like a good food to meat conversion and well marbled, tasty pork. I don't want a "lot" of fat, but don't want exceptionally lean pork either. I do want a fairly good quantity of lard for cooking and other uses. I wouldn't mind doing a heritage breed that's a little slower growing and can thrive on pasture without rooting it all up and destroying it... I'd like to get piglets in the spring and have them ready for butcher in the late fall. Maybe keep 1 gilt and a boar for breeding. Do they breed year round? I mean I guess they must... SO much I don't know and still need to learn :hu

Latest posts