AGH--Breeders & eating them

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
OK, so I posted some links, but have never tried any of this myself. When one of you nice caring and sharing folks actually do this, I hope you'll share it with us so we can experience your success (or not so much) along with you.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes they breed year round. Most people breed twice a year. Perhaps you would do well with a standard sized gilt/sow and Guinea hog boar? Guinea hogs are slower growers, but would add some lard. Standard pigs are 6 months or so til butcher.

I like GOS, amazing meat quality and a little fattier than most modern hog breeds. Berkshires have marbled meat...

And I plan to try lard and goat milk soap as soon as we butcher... Late fall/winter!

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our pigs are kinda sassy, but they are still young and getting used to us. I have been trying to correct any negative behavior. Right now they are very curious, they kinda mouth on everything. Their worst behavior problem as of now is that they scream at us when they know its dinnertime. The place we got them from they were very well behaved, and he had 22 pigs(3 sows a boar and babies). The owner had pictures of his young kids riding a sow. I think with time our pigs will calm down. We also aquired some meat with the pigs and it is phenomenal. It tastes nothing like the pork you most likely are used too. It has a natural sweetness too it from the fat. The one thing I will say is that the surplus fat can make for small bacon. I haven't had the chance to cook chops, but the sausage didn't shrink like the bacon did.
Here is a picture of the curly coat, and yes, I once confused them for sheep
image.jpeg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Latestarter

I wouldn't mind doing a heritage breed that's a little slower growing and can thrive on pasture without rooting it all up and destroying it...

Pigs root. The only pigs that I have heard of that don't root/destroy are KuneKune and Idaho Pasture Pigs that are bred from KuneKune. If I were to raise pigs, it would probably be Idaho Pasture Pigs. Yes I love the idea of heritage hogs, but they are bulldozers. The feeder pigs I raised last winter were Berkshire/Large Black crosses and they dug craters that put the tractor on 2 wheels with the other 2 wheels spinning in the air.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Baymule said it ALL --- P I G S R O O T !!!:lol: :he

So, larger pig, larger hole. They love the hole of water as they cannot sweat and it cools them, mud keeps bugs off. Other than that, they love roots of plants (that is why they leave a moonscape if not rotated) and the grubs, moles, etc that they find.

My AGH will stand and actually eat the grass just like any other grazer but, soon decide they want dessert & root. If you have room to them move them before it gets too bad, you can disc, reseed, etc. Obviously they will get rid of some growth because of the root thing -- so, use & move. The larger the pasture, the less deep rooting you will see. BUT I have had 2 of mine go into a space until I caught them about an hr later and it looked like I had done a fast run with a tiller! (that's why they used hog nose rings in past)

If you keep their fav spot wet, they like to return there -- & will make it bigger/deeper over time. But it does keep the huge hole area limited in number somewhat :idunno There will still be smaller, shallower ones but, they can be navigated by the disc. The wallow? You need several loaders of fill.....:frow

That curly coat is cute. Are these full sized hogs?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I still have pork in the freezer from slaughter this spring. So, won't be raising a pig this winter. It looks like a every-other-year thing for us. I like my sheep, they don't dig!