Alaskan's Journal

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
As to chick hatching... the Ameraucana bantam... she hatched 3 chicks, I put her younger eggs in the incubator... we ended up giving her 4 more over the next week.. and she was fine with them.

We also found some partly incubated eggs in the main coop... stuck those in the incubator too.

1 hatched, a dark brown leghorn, only a few days behind the leghorn hen... and she already had 1 dark brown leghorn chick in her set of 12... so we gave her that one.

Now... what has it been, a week and a half? And another chick has hatched... :eek:

I need to find a spare broody.

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Gorgeous!

If they were as bright as the one's where Al lives, must not have been much effort to bag a few.

On Kodiak, they seemed to prefer living in shin high scrub area so they were hard to get them to flush unless you had dogs. I was young and didn't have any but several of the more senior people had them.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ah..... the joy of fall.

We have already had ice, tiny hail, and snow.... but nothing has stuck.

Lows of freezing, highs in the 40s.

All 5 boys are back home. :th But it is working out well. Just way better cost wise for them to be at home. :idunno Eldest is doing online college and second is at the local community college.

I am trying to continue to downsize my flock... haven't been very successful.

I did want muscovy ducklings this summer, but I had a bunch of predation last fall and winter... down to 2 first year females...

They brooded WOOD CHIPS this summer!!! Yep, they had zero eggs under them! :ep

And now that it is cold one of those girls IS BROODING!!!! And this time on actual eggs. Yeah... crazy.... I forgot to write down when she started. :\

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
And now that it is cold one of those girls IS BROODING!!!! And this time on actual eggs. Yeah... crazy.... I forgot to write down when she started.
Hope she is more successful with eggs than she was with wood chips! I guess if the chips would have hatched you would have had wood ducks? ;)

Latest posts