Alaskan's Journal

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our barn was bad one year... but then we did some land sculpting... and it stayed pretty good after that... and as soon as enough snow melts we would put the horses in the pasture... so they stayed out of the mud.

Only one year ...it rained constantly one summer... Buzz got rain rot, I was so worried about their feet... and the biting flies and gnats and all such things about ate them alive..

We had so much space for the goats... never had issues with them... nothing got muddy. The barn stayed dry.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm waiting for my boys to get big enough to open the gate for me. Yea again I started late.
Glad you got the truck running again and so quick. It's nice of you to clear up to the church. Last time I tried to use the blade on the tractor to clear the little roads around here (thank goodness it's not often) I found the pen that holds the blade up was gone and the only reason it didn't fall off was the angle iron on the front setting on a straight piece to let you change angles without it falling smooth down was the only thing holding it up.
It was a really old angle blade when I bought it 10yrs ago.
Did you get it fixed back up?

CLSranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
No. Haven't got that pin yet. And I don't need it right now. The other welding requirements above that, were procrastanated then it got to dry and windy to weld. I've been wondering about welding something where the pin goes but I believe it is made to be removable and changed. If I weld something I have to torch it off. I have a torch but a pin is faster and can be done by the neighbor if he's using it.
BTW the neighbors brother was asking me about doing some road work for him I mentioned it needed fixed and the neighbor said is that why it fell off the other day (while I was gone) is that what that bolt does.
I noticed as soon as it changed directions and the front pen was where it was supposed to be.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Can't decide.... should I plow now...

Or wait until morning????

Lots of wind... blew a bunch of the already plowed snow back into the driveways.

Some of the drifts are big enough to be an issue...

Sigh
Too late to help you with that decision but I figure I better get out there when it gets to the "I'm going to have trouble if we get any more" stage. Of course the snow removal equipment has a lot to do with that decision. At the old house it was all backs and shovels, easier to get out there every 3 or 4". With a driveway only big enough for 3 cars it wasn't that hard. What you DID have to do though was get on the plow berms ASAP; paved, salted road. Those would be a foot high and wide and heavy as wet cement even in a moderate snowfall.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
No. Haven't got that pin yet. And I don't need it right now. The other welding requirements above that, were procrastanated then it got to dry and windy to weld. I've been wondering about welding something where the pin goes but I believe it is made to be removable and changed. If I weld something I have to torch it off. I have a torch but a pin is faster and can be done by the neighbor if he's using it.
BTW the neighbors brother was asking me about doing some road work for him I mentioned it needed fixed and the neighbor said is that why it fell off the other day (while I was gone) is that what that bolt does.
I noticed as soon as it changed directions and the front pen was where it was supposed to be.
:rolleyes: so he borrowed it without asking?

CLSranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
No. I was gone 6-8wks at a time last march-Jan. He would bring firewood for DW in trade for hrs on the tractor this winter. Home in 2019 he would hire me to do tractor work. He's also my "adopted" family and my wife's literal Uncle.
But apparently he new about it long before I did.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
No. I was gone 6-8wks at a time last march-Jan. He would bring firewood for DW in trade for hrs on the tractor this winter. Home in 2019 he would hire me to do tractor work. He's also my "adopted" family and my wife's literal Uncle.
But apparently he new about it long before I did.
Ah, then... perfectly fine.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Too late to help you with that decision but I figure I better get out there when it gets to the "I'm going to have trouble if we get any more" stage. Of course the snow removal equipment has a lot to do with that decision. At the old house it was all backs and shovels, easier to get out there every 3 or 4". With a driveway only big enough for 3 cars it wasn't that hard. What you DID have to do though was get on the plow berms ASAP; paved, salted road. Those would be a foot high and wide and heavy as wet cement even in a moderate snowfall.
The state plow guys are actually pretty good at our drive.

On some little driveways, yes, the berms can be horrid.