Alaskan's Journal

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
My place is NOT YET CLEANED UP!!!!

:barnie

We couldn't touch anything at the front/north door for the first month of no-snow... since a robin had made a nest on the skis that are hung on the wall there by the door. She flew off the nest if we used that door. So... we all snuck out the south door and didn't weed the entryway garden or touch the junk in that area.

The robins are now done with their brood... so we have started reclaiming the front flower bed... heavy weeds though, so it is a slow slog...

We did start trying to organize and put away our junk and jillion motorized vehicles... and then suddenly 2 more 4-wheelers showed up, plus a motorcycle!!! :eek:

Sheesh! Like holding back a tsunami I tell ya!

But... we finally... after many years of it being in desperate need... actually stained the house and painted the trim!! :clap We also got the coop painted!

The barn is still looking sad... I am thinking we will only do the south side... the price of paint and stain is giving me twitches. So... maybe we will just paint until the paint runs out.

Other news..... last incubator hatch... ZERO, out of a full 'bator of... 24? 26? Whatever..

Anyway, the vast majority were infertile... not even blood rings... 2 started then died early on. :idunno This was 100% bantams... 2 cocks over 4 hens. No excuse for infertility!

I have a single female that I hatched earlier this spring... she is... 6 weeks now?

Last edited:

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Bragging on my boys....

Had to run the 2 youngest into town... they both had checks to deposit, and youngest wanted a professional hair cut :rolleyes:

So we were done... driving the bypass back towards home..... and there is this old man in a wheelchair... the hand powered kind... in the rain.. going along towards the grocery store, still 4 long blocks away, and he looked a bit tuckered.

Busy road, no safe way to stop by him and heft him into the car etc... so I kicked a kid out, #4.

Kid didn't pause, ran right on over, asked the man if he would like some help.

I did a slow turn about and met kid at the grocery store.

We did ask if he wanted a ride home... would have been easy to stick him in the car at the grocery store... but he said he had a ride home.

Last edited:

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
You have a lot of reasons to feel good about your kids but I know you know that. :)
Those kids of mine... biggest blessings I have ever had.

:thAlways so amazed by them. Not that they don't drive me nuts at time....but they are always kind.

They have all been great even through the teens... none of that junk you read about.

I can tell they hit teenage-hood though... like the 16 year old likes to say pecan like a Yankee, just to see me roll my eyes at him. :lol:

The 14 year old now says "HILLarious, get it? Because we live on a HILL" as often as he can.... just because it is stupid...

Silly kids, great kids.... :old

I can't believe they are all growing up! baby is 14 now!!!!

Sounds like the 18 year old was pretty sick for the first 2 weeks on the fishing vessel. He actually talked to us for like 5 minutes, on a horrid connection, when his boat was unloading at a cannery. He said he is finally feeling a bit better. He isn't sure if he was actually sick, or if he was seasick. He hasn't ever been seasick before, but this is his first out in the sea 24/7 fishing boat... so who knows. Luckily, I know that kid was working hard, even half dead that boy would work hard. But I sure feel bad for him. He said he wasn't able to sleep much. Anyway... season is already halfway over.... and he is feeling better... so hopefully he will get some better sleep.....

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Did you save up a bunch of repair work for him to do?

Interesting that the fishing season is over already.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Did you save up a bunch of repair work for him to do?

Interesting that the fishing season is over already.
He was doing the Salmon run over in Bristol Bay... that season is always 6 to 8 weeks.

And... as I was driving him home from the airport he read off the list of things he was planning to fix at the house... it is LONG!!!

Latest posts