Alaskan's Journal

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah... shipping drives up the cost of everything, and that wire is heavy stuff.
No sh1t. Glad I have the tractor for the next time I need a 330' roll of fencing. TSC's Square Deal S&G is knotted and a 330' roll weighs 160 pounds.
Most stuff labeled "goat fence" is welded wire. :idunno not sure how it is supposed to hold up to goats.
Really? I've not checked into all kinds of fencing but neither my Red Brand field fence nor the Sheep and goat are welded. The only welded I have is 100' of 2x4. It is on the inside of the hot wire fence to keep the chickens from going through. It definitely isn't the strongest stuff around, welds break easily.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Really? I've not checked into all kinds of fencing but neither my Red Brand field fence nor the Sheep and goat are welded. The only welded I have is 100' of 2x4. It is on the inside of the hot wire fence to keep the chickens from going through. It definitely isn't the strongest stuff around, welds break easily.
Maybe regional naming differences? :hu

Driving home today:

On my driveway. At the top of the hill, really tiny, is my house to the left, and the greenhouse roof to the right.
20180918_181107.jpg

And a blurry moose picture. He wasn't quite close enough for my poor cell phone to get a good close up. It had just finished pouring rain.
20180918_180851.jpg

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Bull moose can be VERY aggressive (and stupid) during rut. They will charge just about anything... cars, trains, trucks... Cows during calving to protect their calves. Otherwise, In my experience they are really shy and reclusive creatures. I've been around them in Maine and Colorado, but never AK, so not sure about up there.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Bull moose can be VERY aggressive (and stupid) during rut. They will charge just about anything... cars, trains, trucks... Cows during calving to protect their calves. Otherwise, In my experience they are really shy and reclusive creatures. I've been around them in Maine and Colorado, but never AK, so not sure about up there.
Yes.. same here.

During rut if you see a male moose... make sure you have something to jump behind. They run WAY fast... but luckily can't turn worth a darn.

The Cows even with calves aren't usually too bad. Just don't approach or be stupid.

Most deaths by moose are due to dogs... the dog runs and barks at and upsets the moose... the moose chases the dog back to the owner... smooshes owner.