Alaskan's Journal

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
since we have hired out our bobcat (so ZERO heavy equipment to remove snow). So far, we have made more than we have spent, (since we now have to pay someone to plow us)
I guess that works as long as the hired people do the job in a timely manner.

Wow. Alaska is truly one of the prettiest states in the union. Heck I'd say it's a tie - Alaska and Hawaii. :love
Yet you live in hot dry So Cal ;)

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Some photos.

Theophany, the baptism of Christ in the Jordan, was back on the 6th. So we also did the outdoor blessing of the waters.

The beach, at noon... yep... that is the high point of the sun.
20230106_120623.jpg

Father getting everything set up.

20230106_120410.jpg

Earlier, youngest kid lighting the oil lamps before the church services.

20230105_164322.jpg

And 4:40 Thursday night, the 5th, when I was walking to church

20230106_163958.jpg

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Your church is as always, beautiful.
Is that all the Sun you get?
Yeppers.

And the sun just skims the mountains then sinks away.

It does give us hour long sunrises and sunsets. Lots of time to take great photos.

I still remember talking the kids to Texas when they were little and they freaked that the sun went down so fast. And when the sun was down, it was DOWN, no twilight. There were so cute, asking me how it could get dark that FAST!

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well... I TAPED some nö trespassing signs to some driveway stakes/ markers.

I wonder how long that will last....

I greatly dislike people walking up and playing on my driveway.

Huge uptick in people doing just that this winter. Not sure why.. I think because the house at the start of the driveway was sold a few months back. Random people keep showing up there now to work on the house. It needed a huge amount of work... and they are taking it slow.

Not sure why they haven't taken the time to figure out what is what...

Yeah, yeah, I could stop and say hi.... but well..... i hate that kind of thing... I would make a kid do it... but they aren't actually living there yet... hard to know when they are around, and also impossible to tell when people are there if it is the owners or workers.

Anyway, the signs are clear.

Just.... way too cold to drive t-posts. I had to put the driveway markers past the snow berm....

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well... I TAPED some nö trespassing signs to some driveway stakes/ markers.

I wonder how long that will last....

I greatly dislike people walking up and playing on my driveway.

Huge uptick in people doing just that this winter. Not sure why.. I think because the house at the start of the driveway was sold a few months back. Random people keep showing up there now to work on the house. It needed a huge amount of work... and they are taking it slow.

Not sure why they haven't taken the time to figure out what is what...

Yeah, yeah, I could stop and say hi.... but well..... i hate that kind of thing... I would make a kid do it... but they aren't actually living there yet... hard to know when they are around, and also impossible to tell when people are there if it is the owners or workers.

Anyway, the signs are clear.

Just.... way too cold to drive t-posts. I had to put the driveway markers past the snow berm....
I "get" that. Our driveway continues from the end of the road - goes about 700ft before you get to the concrete part. Until we put gates up we had scads of Amazon drivers trying to get through - only to come to a neighbor's locked gate on a grove access road. Most drove fast - way too fast - almost hit me, the dog, the sheep and then would argue with me that they had a right to be there on my very well posted "Private Property" -- because their GPS said it was a road. (6 signs in all - No Outlet Private Drive Private Property etc) they never read the signs - and would get out and MOVE barriers I put up with "DEAD END" signs.
Perhaps a quick " Hello" if they are indeed your new neighbors and be done with it. Fingers crossed on the signs!

WyoLiving

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
When I worked for the Wyoming DOT, I actually contacted Google Earth to try to get "roads" removed from landowners pastures. Sure, they were graveled, but they were private roads owned and maintained by the Gas/Mining companies for their vehicles to use. Not safe to have tourists on the same roads as those vehicles.
Turns out Google Maps uses information from a couple of other companies. I had accounts with 4 of them to suggest edits to their maps.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
When I worked for the Wyoming DOT, I actually contacted Google Earth to try to get "roads" removed from landowners pastures. Sure, they were graveled, but they were private roads owned and maintained by the Gas/Mining companies for their vehicles to use. Not safe to have tourists on the same roads as those vehicles.
Turns out Google Maps uses information from a couple of other companies. I had accounts with 4 of them to suggest edits to their maps.
Yup - we did that too. But the GPS still tries to send people through. We had a sign made and it's on the gate....
"Your GPS is WRONG
NO ACCESS to ______"
It's working so far.