All of your pig talk got me in TROUBLE!

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
not successful :( We may have a good FAILURE to measure pigs video coming! They just werent having it and their pin is so large there is really no way to force them into it. I will be uploading a video later with just a pig update, please take a look they seem TINY to me honestly. They are gaining weight but SLOWLY. We have had them a month and I feel like a month is a LONG time for a pig and we should be able to look at them be like "WOW look how much they have grown" and that is definitely not the case. Also the larger of the two is built like a damn bulldog instead of a pig and he runs and jumps around a lot. Very surprising stuff.

Smaller pigs do run and jump and play a lot so long as they are healthy and happy....even our big pigs will run and play just kind of more in slow motion :gig The pigs really should have grown a noticeable amount in a month, in small pigs after about 2 weeks of good feed you should have seen quite noticeable growth. I will go thru and watch all your pig videos this evening....if time allows.

If you want to try to tape them again, withhold the morning feeding and then during the evening feeding while they are eating try to tape...generally pigs are a lot more tolerant when they are eating. If it still doesnt work, try the same thing again but just pet them a bit, eventually they wont care what you do while they are eating and will be a lot more tolerant of things you need to do when they are not eating. This is how we break pigs we didnt raise to accept and want us touching them.....except our mini boar he is just a jerk. :smack

Matt n Lee

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Here is some footage from this weekend. You can see they have grown. It just doesnt seem to be that significant of growth for a month. I will say that, because they were loaded with worms when we got them, I think we have been playing catch-up and we are hopeful that their growth rate will continue to increase now that they are healthier. Also I can say with confidence they are MUCH happier pigs. Enjoy. If yall like these videos please like subscribe and comment it really helps the channel and we would love to hear from you.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Being listed as a featured thread gets you new "visitors" ;)

Sorry - but pigs are not vegetarians. They will, all on their own, capture and eat whatever meat product they can
Just like chickens. Vegetarian is NOT a natural thing for them. Anyone who tells you their chickens were pasture raised and vegetarian fed is lying (or really ignorant). Even chickens kept cooped up and fed vegetarian chicken food will likely find a bug or two to eat and those out foraging will get a lot of insect, worm, etc protein in their diet. My chickens fight for any meat scraps that come out of the kitchen. I expect pigs would be similar. The chickens also love bacon grease. I guess you can feed your chicken meat scraps to the pigs and pig meat scraps to the chickens.

He also said it is illegal is some places the feed pork meat to swine...
Trichinosis. When commercial farmers stopped feeding pork to pigs (per new laws), pigs stopped getting Trichinosis. That is why you no longer have to cook commercial pork until it is grey and dry. The high heat was needed to kill the Trichina worm cysts in the meat. Assuming one's own pigs do not have Trichinosis (which in this country should be beyond rare now), no need to ruin that meat by over cooking either.

My hub came home and told me about the veg thingy.. where I heard it.. He does the selling and advertises them as veg protein raised... soybean/corn/barley etc and not meat protein rasied..
sorry for the confusion...
What is the purported "value" of a vegetarian raised pig?

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
What is the purported "value" of a vegetarian raised pig?[/QUOTE]NONE , other than for vegetarians and vegans who don't know any better for proper nutrition for the human body's needs and what it was designed to be through evolution.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
What do you do after they have tilled the "to be" garden area?? Do you have other areas that you want tilled or will they just make a mess of their pasture?

Matt n Lee

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
What do you do after they have tilled the "to be" garden area?? Do you have other areas that you want tilled or will they just make a mess of their pasture?

Well they will end their days in that area. They are feeders, not breeders.

Last edited:

Matt n Lee

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Earlier in this thread I was talking about how the pigs arent growing very fast. Im wondering if those with feeder pig experience can take a look at the videos and give me your opinion on 2 months of growth. I feel like their growth rate is improving a lot now, but I still think they are pretty small for what would be 5 and 6 months old. What do yall think?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do you have them on free feed? Or do you feed them a set amount daily? Mine seemed to grow best with a bin feeder that they could open the flap and eat what they wanted. I didn't watch most of the video, on satellite internet. Videos don't play well and my internet amount is metered. So I skipped ahead. It was hard to get an idea of their size, but measuring them against the hay bales, they look average size for 5 months.

Matt n Lee

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Do you have them on free feed? Or do you feed them a set amount daily? Mine seemed to grow best with a bin feeder that they could open the flap and eat what they wanted. I didn't watch most of the video, on satellite internet. Videos don't play well and my internet amount is metered. So I skipped ahead. It was hard to get an idea of their size, but measuring them against the hay bales, they look average size for 5 months.

We feed them twice daily, but their food tub is never empty by the time they get their next bucket...so it is sorta free choice feed. Thanks for the guestimate on their size. I know the larger of the two is big and strong enough at this point that when he gets rough(and he does) it is a bit scary. We are trying to go into their pin as little as possible now and I keep my dog around just in case something silly happens she will get after the pigs if I call her. Dont get me wrong they havent been vicious or anything just pushy and mouthy on my boots, but its enough that I watch them now.

Latest posts