alsea1

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Today is the end of another weekend. Man I wish it was the other way around. Work two days and five days off. LOL wouldn't that be great.
Don't get me wrong. I'm lucky in that my job is easy. I get paid an okay amount. Would love more, but hey. And the people are fine. But I sure wish I spent more time at home. Anywho

I have enlisted my husband to help me rebuild the hay manger for the sheep. As I mentioned in earlier posts it seems that we need to rethink sheep structures. They apparently need to be built to stand serious abuse. And I thought horses were hard on things.

The old dog is a bit worse in symptoms. He does not act like he is in pain though. So I'm thinking he may have some kind of tumor or cancer. He is old and arthrhitic and sometimes acts pretty senile. But other than that he gets around okay. We are torn as to what to do. The sensible thing is to have him put down. We are not in a position to put alot of money into vet fee's for him. This sounds awful. But its the truth. Most people out here where we live would just take him out and shoot him. But neither my husband or I can do this. I can dispatch rabbits, sheep and goats no problem. But I cannot do this to our dogs.

My goat Mouth is getting bigger and slower. I am just hoping and praying that she goes thru the birthing process smoothly as I have no exp. with assisting.
Some of the posts I read regarding births gone wrong are scary to say the least.

I have all but one rabbit rebred. So I should have another mob up soon.

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
Ditto on the need for more weekend, less work week.

Sorry about your dog. Sounds like you are making a good, albeit hard, decision. :hugs

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
This morning got going with the addition of three lil baby goats. My Boer doe kidded around five am or so. My husband woke me up and said there was something going on outside.
So we went out to what it was.
Luckily I had cleaned her stall last night so the kids were born into a decent stall.
I got the navels dipped. Made sure each one had some breakfast. They sure are wobbly.
So far Mouth is a good mom. Lets the kids nurse. She is a bit clumsy though and did step on ones little leg. It let out a good squall.
Hopefully I have enough bedding that she wont hurt them.
Other than that life here on the Alsea place is trudging along.
:/

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So far everything seems to be going well with Mouths kids. The two boys are bigger than the girl.
I have decided that I am going to keep the doeling and put the boys in the freezer. So that means Eon must go down the road.
Goldie has only two more days of pen g shots. I sure hate giving her a shot every day. She does okay with it though. I also wormed her with Ivermectin. Her breathing is getting back to more normal. I'm wondering if she didnt have nasal bots. None of the other goats are having colds or anything.
I am hoping that my attempts at helping her have not harmed the baby is she is pregnant. She seems a bit wider now, but that could be the extra feed she is getting.
I wormed Mouth on Monday. Everything I have read says to do this after kidding. She appears to be putting out enough milk. She loves the alf. pellets. The other goats won't eat them. I would use alf, hay, but it is so damp here a bale would get crappy before I could use it all. So pellets it must be.
I have five rabbits due to kindle in the next two weeks. I'm hoping for some nice big litters.
I am thinking about bringing in some new blood. I have mutt rabbits, but am considering phasing to New Zealand purebreds. I really need to get excep. rate of gain weights.
Today is rabbit barn cleaning day and the weather is ugly rain.
The sheep are doing well. It looks like maybe Ewe one is in heat. Let us hope so. And that it gets taken care of.
If Ewe two does not produce she will have to be replaced. I am considering a Katahdin replacement.
I need to trade ewe three soon. My ram is her father. So I really do not want her breeding with him.
Well, its time for me to get out there and access the day.

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
Goats can be so fussy. Ours wouldn't touch alfalfa for awhile either and then one day decided it was wonderful stuff. Glad your Goldie is doing better. The whole worm then after kidding thing isn't really necessary though, for what its worth. We do a lot of testing here and haven't had to worm one yet. It is a time when they are more prone to a bloom but they don't all have it happen. I bet my vet would have had me worm her too though with what she had going on.

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I don't have alot of area for the animals to live on, so rotating ground is all but impossible. So I pretty much figure worm infestation is inevitable. I keep the place picked up and as clean as I can.
LOL, bless his heart Spud tries to help out too. It grosses me out but he loves goat and sheep poop. Ugh. I get after him, but he sneaks it. Dogs. Yikes.

I have not wormed the sheep yet. They appear to be healthy enough. I may take a sample in for testing just to see. The wormer for sheep is so spendy I don't want to use if I don't have to. Not to mention wresting with them to get it in them.

I pretty much figured pneamonia was not Goldies problem. I thought maybe some kind of upper resp. issue. She never lost appetite, or weight. She was normal active. So I got to thinking nasal bots. She was already on pen g , so even though I loath sticking her I thought I should stick with the treatment. Besides the nasal bots may have caused an infection in her nasal passages. So we will see.
I would love to be able to have the vet out to confirm my diagnosis, but the dogs took up all the vet budget this month.

But all seems to be going in right direction. So lucked out again.
:cool:

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well, Goldie Update
She is looking good and eats like a horse. She is active, alert and normal. Except that darn loud breating.
The ivermectin and pen g did nothing. Although we are both glad the shots are over. Gave her the whole five day regimen.
I think I will just leave well enough alone for now.

I think my katahdin ewe is beginning to form a bag. I'm hoping I am not seeing things. LOL I am hoping for a ram baby. Freezer camp boy.

The rain is back with a vengence. I heard something today about another cool, wet spring. Where the hell is that global warming. I wouldn't mind if it hit here for a bit.

The boer triplets are doing good. Today while I cleaned their stall I put them out in the hot wire fence. Every once in awhile I would here one yell. With any luck they will train themselves quickly.

I have three litters of bunnies so far. Two left to go. Then in a few weeks one more.

My husband fixed braised rabbit tonight. Talk about good. Looking forward to having that in my lunch tommorow.

Got the deposit sent off for our new buck. If Ean does not sell this week we will head to the livestock auction. That will help take some of the sting outa buying the new buck.

well, off for ice cream

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
Glad she is looking better and doing good. Wonder what that breathing is...

Don't hear people say they want a ram often. ha

Where the hell is that global warming. I wouldn't mind if it hit here for a bit.
:lol:

I like your new buck. I bet he'll be real nice.

And I want some ice cream now. Dang

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well, after some though and deliberation I have decided to have my husband create a animal hauling trailer with our little flatbed trailer.
The crew is going to town for an adventure.

I have no idea why Goldie the Nubian breaths noisy. I have tried to treat her myself to no avail. So
Since we intend to consume her milk (that is if she is preg. and freshens) I am going to have them all tested for cae, cl and johnes and tb, and Brucelosis. If she don't have any of those then I will just forget about it and figure the goof ball has a deviated septum or some darn thing.
I am lucky to live really close to Oregon State University vet hosp. and they will do the tests for a real reasonable price.
Least then I can also state that I have cae an cl neg goats if I get lucky and someone wants to buy one.

Tried to put Mouth and her kids out with Goldie and Ean. It went okay, but I don't think I can trust them just yet not to injure the kids.

So I put Mouth on a tether to let her graze while I cleaned her stall. Every time I looked up to check on the little brats they were getting into something they shouldn't. I hope the lil buggers did not consume anything that will make them sick. Lordy. Impossible to keep em out of stuff. And they don't listen to the mom goat either. Unless they feel like it. They stressed her out a bit I think. So this weekend I will have to buy more stuff and make another pen just for mom and the brats. LOL
Something tells me it may be a long summer.