AmberLops Rabbitry Journal

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think he's the cutest kit I've gotten yet!
Those blue eyes are just throwing me for a loop! I know it doesn't come from Luna so it has to come from Archie....but he has no BEW's or VM's in his pedigree. He comes from a line of Chins...:hu
Maybe he's a carrier and whichever parent he got it from is a carrier. I bought a chinchilla mix and she didn't look Vienna marked, but both litters now there's been one kit Vienna marked with the nose snip. She's turned out to be a great mom but she doesn't like to be touched much.

I hope your little cutie calms down and doesn't stay wild.

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
Maybe he's a carrier and whichever parent he got it from is a carrier. I bought a chinchilla mix and she didn't look Vienna marked, but both litters now there's been one kit Vienna marked with the nose snip. She's turned out to be a great mom but she doesn't like to be touched much.

I hope your little cutie calms down and doesn't stay wild.
True! This little guy is the only VM kit in the litter of 5.
The carrier would have to be Archie...Luna's had multiple litters with multiple bucks and never had a VM kit. Exciting! I love the look of Archie's babies so far :love

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
he has no BEW's or VM's in his pedigree

Vienna marked

Miss @AmberLops,

When you first mentioned BEW, I thought "What in the world is that? Maybe Bunnies EveryWhere? Maybe British East Wales?" And then I wondered about VM's as well but I think Miss @Larsen Poultry Ranch answered that with Vienna marked, whatever that is. Sorry I am so dumb regarding rabbitry!

Miss @Larsen Poultry Ranch,

:welcome ! You are not too far from Miss @babsbag, who raises goats, and at least in the same state as Miss @Ridgetop, who raises sheep, among other things. There are a lot of folks here on this forum who know a lot about poultry, including Miss @Baymule, Miss @B&B Happy goats, and Miss @Blamo'sBestBuddy. So I am sure you will feel welcome and fit right in.

Senile Texas Aggie

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Miss @AmberLops,

When you first mentioned BEW, I thought "What in the world is that? Maybe Bunnies EveryWhere? Maybe British East Wales?" And then I wondered about VM's as well but I think Miss @Larsen Poultry Ranch answered that with Vienna marked, whatever that is. Sorry I am so dumb regarding rabbitry!

:welcome ! You are not too far from Miss @babsbag, who raises goats, and at least in the same state as Miss @Ridgetop, who raises sheep, among other things. There are a lot of folks here on this forum who know a lot about poultry, including Miss @Baymule, Miss @B&B Happy goats, and Miss @Blamo'sBestBuddy. So I am sure you will feel welcome and fit right in.

Senile Texas Aggie
@Senile_Texas_Aggie thanks for the welcome! I've learned a lot from BYH so far. :)

BEW means blue eyed white, which is what the rabbit looks like if it has two copies of the Vienna gene. The Vienna gene is odd in that it's not completely dominant. Some rabbits can have one copy of the gene (which you know due to their pedigree) but not show it, those are called VC or Vienna carriers. Some have the one copy and it does show on the rabbit, causing white markings to appear, those are VM or Vienna marked. The markings can be as little as a small spot or nose snip, or make the rabbit look like a Dutch patterned rabbit, which is a completely separate gene. I'm finding rabbit genetics to be extremely fascinating and I've been trying to learn more. Luckily there are some very knowledgeable people on this site.

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
Miss @AmberLops,

Senile Texas Aggie
Sorry! You gotta keep up with all this 'rabbit slang' :lol:
@Larsen Poultry Ranch explained pretty much all of it!
BEW is blue-eyed white...a REW is a ruby-eyed white...VM is Vienna-Marked ;)

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
Adorable litter of Netherlands enjoying their ice pack...especially the little ice pack hog
101_0259.JPG