American Fuzzy Lop

OctoberKitty

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss, Genipher. I had a hamster once that had babies and then died a week after they did. It was really hard.

OctoberKitty

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
The Fuzzy died today. When I walked out of the house he looked fine, my husband came out about 15 minutes later and said, "Your other rabbit is dead." When I insisted he was fine when I checked on him we went back inside and checked. He wasn't dead, but he was on his way. When we got home he was gone. Poor rabbit.

I'll get meat rabbits maybe next spring after my outdoor cages are finished. I'm going to avoid shows and ask to see the rabbits' living quarters from now on.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, phooie! :( Losing one is bad enough, but to have lost them both is really rotten.

Sorry for your loss, and I hope you have better luck next time.

OctoberKitty

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks, next time should be better. This is the first time I've lost rabbits like this.

OctoberKitty

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
It was sudden. He seemed fine when I checked on him on my way out the door and then 15 minutes later he was at the point of no return and would be dead shortly. When I got up 30 or 40 minutes before that he was full of pep and eating and drinking as usual. I've only ever seen rodents die that quickly.

OctoberKitty

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
The English looked like he was peacefully sleeping when I found him. He didn't look or act remotely sick before he died.

When I saw the Fuzzy on my way out he looked fine. He came to the door of his cage to greet me per usual. Then when I went back in 15 minutes later he was barely moving, had a wobbly walk and was going cold. There wasn't anything he could have gotten to and the room had been quiet since it was early morning. They may have died the same way and it just didn't look the same, but I don't know.

DutchBunny03

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Both of their deaths sound very sudden. I've never heard of something like this happening before.