Another doe with scours...already lost one.

FarmerChick

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
WOW you sent that to the University and got no good feedback or diagnosis...that stinks. Yes I would be expecting "something" from all that work.

well sounds like you are on the attack...best anyone can do.

wow they sure die quick when they make up their mind. I know and yup, it stinks.

every time I see a runny butt I start that internal panic...til I get it fixed fast..ugh.....so many problems start wtih that dirty butt.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Just got word that she's been out with the herd pretty much all day. Last check she was grazing, yarping up cuds.. Wife saw her drinking out of the trough (and, yes, it's good clean water. :gig) which was EXCELLENT news to me. Wife went ahead and ran some warm (HOT) water to the barn for everyone else, which they appreciated.

Also threw some hay, and the sick doe dug right in with everyone else to chow down. Then she had a little dust-up with her sister and rammed one of the recently-introduced doelings into a wall.. All good signs. :gig We're still knocking on wood, of course, but the one who died already had three feet in the grave by this point in her extremely rapid progression.

Scours actually seem to be done, in a manner of speaking...she arches her tail like she feels the urge to poo, but doesn't produce anything. Wife was gonna give more Scour-Halt, but after seeing that...nope. I've been told the Scour-Halt can plug'em up if you lay it on too heavily, and we don't want that.. The others did this very thing after Scour-Halt, just before they started making light-colored clumpy pellets.. She'll get probios this evening with her Excenel.

Otherwise...I'm gonna continue the Excenel and Probios for probably 3-days, just to ensure a good kill on whatever this bug is. Last thing I want is for her to start crapping out centiofur-resistant pathogenic bacteria, right? That would be disasterous, to say the least.. :hide

But, yeah...so far, so good. Just to be safe, though...y'all keep your fingers crossed a little while longer, if you would please. :D

:fl

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We did end up giving more Scour-Halt last night, as she started being a bit more..."productive" again, if you will. Nothing terrible, but this particular bug has the capability of going from nothing terrible to horrific in a matter of minutes...we've seen it happen more than once. The wether who had it went from dark pellets to light pellets, then clumpy pellets, then a loaf, then runny poo in no more than 5min. Within an hour, he was making mucousy, blood-tinged dirty water. Needless to say, it's not something with which you can really take a "wait and see" approach...you just grab the Scour-Halt and go.

There was no evidence of any fresh scouring on her hiney this morning, which is good. In fact, she seemed much improved this morning, especially compared to yesterday morning.. Whereas yesterday, she was standing with her head low and her hiney shivering from going the night without eating much hay, she was very much alert and seemed to be itching to come out of the barn today. I could tell she still hadn't eaten a whole lot overnight, but she wasn't terribly hollow looking.. And not shivering at all.. I think she's still being just a bit picky, which is understandable. I mean, I don't particularly like to fill up after being food-poisoned either, which is basically the human analog here..

She did really try to buck me when I gave her Excenel. :gig

Still, I'm keeping my fingers crossed until I see pellets, and I'll keep updating as we go along.. :) :fl

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
PELLETS!

:weee

I haven't seen it yet, but my wife just informed me that she saw nice pellets from the sick doe.. Like, to the point that if you didn't know she'd had an issue, you'd never know there was anything wrong by the way her pellets look now.

Man..what a relief. :celebrate

She's still getting 3 more shots of Excenel, though.. Don't wanna create any of this stuff in a new and improved antibiotic-resistant formula.. :hide

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
She's back to 100%. :D

She actually let me love on her a little bit last night.. When you're sticking one twice a day w/ an 18ga needle, they tend to start avoiding you really quickly. I always hate that...sucks to have to hurt an animal to help it, and to have it move away when it sees you coming....ugh. :(

Needless to say, I was quite happy just to pet on her and sniff faces for a while without having to do anything untoward and run her off...again. :gig

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
That is great that she recovered. Hopefully this has run its course through your herd and it is done now.

Latest posts