Anyone else have property prone to Cocci?

Ctittle

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks so much!
The temps will be around 20 degrees F tonight. It’s 33 right now and very blustery. I went out at 3am when it started raining - not knowing the doe’s mothering history that well, I just wanted to be sure. She gave birth just outside their round shelter, and didn’t seem to want to go inside earlier. But once the rain came, she stood in the doorway coaxing the babies inside. I put both babies in with her (and two other does) just for expediency.
This morning after the temperature drop, I was glad to see that the babies were tucked in the small space under the hay feeder. They snuggled there while mom and the other does were fed their hay pellets. I have the mom a little more than usual and she gobbled them up. I was able to pet and handle them while mom ate.
Mom bellyached at me when I started to leave. She is usually a quiet one, so I went back to the shelter. I’m not sure what she wanted, but after sitting with her and admiring the babies and petting for a couple more minutes, she seemed okay that I left. Not sure what that was - everything seemed fine to me. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Youngfarmer2019

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thanks so much!
The temps will be around 20 degrees F tonight. It’s 33 right now and very blustery. I went out at 3am when it started raining - not knowing the doe’s mothering history that well, I just wanted to be sure. She gave birth just outside their round shelter, and didn’t seem to want to go inside earlier. But once the rain came, she stood in the doorway coaxing the babies inside. I put both babies in with her (and two other does) just for expediency.
This morning after the temperature drop, I was glad to see that the babies were tucked in the small space under the hay feeder. They snuggled there while mom and the other does were fed their hay pellets. I have the mom a little more than usual and she gobbled them up. I was able to pet and handle them while mom ate.
Mom bellyached at me when I started to leave. She is usually a quiet one, so I went back to the shelter. I’m not sure what she wanted, but after sitting with her and admiring the babies and petting for a couple more minutes, she seemed okay that I left. Not sure what that was - everything seemed fine to me. 🤷🏼‍♀️
love that you have a bible verse at the bottom of your messages

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Those are just snuggly adorable kids 🥰👍pick them up and snuggle -- they we be tame for you if you do. I really like the doe color. Are those boys or girls?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
You give it to kids at 3, 6, and 9 weeks. Some folks do another dose at 12 weeks, but I haven't seen the need. It's expensive. But, it's simple to use and it's the best thing I've EVER used for coccidia.
Thanks for link....cocci has only been an occasional issue here but, with an unknown # of kids this year (25-45!🙄) Not wanting to be unprepared! My order has been shipped. Hey $82 for that vice 1pair LLBean jeans??? Priorities are in order. 😁 :old

Ctittle

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!
So far so good. We named the girl Snickerdoodle. Unfortunately, the white little boy met with an accident and was killed. We were all so heartbroken!
Snickerdoodle is doing well, however, and now that all the humans are healthy (flu) we can enjoy her hopping and springing all over the place.
New question for experienced herders:
How do you catch which goat is having occasional sticky poops? It’s not all the time, but I’ve found a few ‘dog poop’ manures here and there. I’ve seen them all poo though, and it’s always pellets. I’d have a fecal done, if I knew which goat it was!
Thanks so much!

Show Sebright

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hey all,
I’m fairly new to goats (less than a year). Our property (according to the vet) is prone to coccidia. Flat, clay soil, lousy drainage - first round of goats had to get Corid for five days after having them for less than two months.
Then a few months later, when I finally got a vet out to the property (instead of taking one in), he put the whole herd (kids and adults both) on medicated feed for two months to get it under control. (Yep, it came back.)
We will have our first kidding in mid to late February, and I’m concerned about spring. While February and March CAN be plenty cold, April and May turn our place into a swamp!
We want to milk the does when the kids reach 8 weeks, but not if everyone is battling cocci! Nor do we want to be reliant on chemical dewormers year round.
They have all been off the medicated feed for well over a month. Everyone seems very healthy, and in this last month I have switched them over to alfalfa pellets (Timothy for the boys) as I’d like to avoid grain if we can. (Gluten and other food sensitivities in the family)
I have been thinking of getting a hundred pounds of lespedenza pellets to feed freshened does until the ground starts to dry up in late spring.
Any other suggestions? I’m worried about new babies being in such cold wet conditions like we had this past year. I got our first goats in mid-March. It rained for the first week, then turned bitter cold for another week, then went back to raining for another week. This led to all five goats (four kids and one adult buck) to get cocci.
Granted, the new kids this spring will be nursing from mum, so that will help.
Does anyone else struggle with this? Any suggestions? I can’t afford the herbal wormer concoctions as well as the pellets, and the pellets seem the safer bet (more studies to support).
Thanks all!
We have this problem at the last school. We put down lots of sand and it seems to help. They are constantly working them still.

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!
So far so good. We named the girl Snickerdoodle. Unfortunately, the white little boy met with an accident and was killed. We were all so heartbroken!
Snickerdoodle is doing well, however, and now that all the humans are healthy (flu) we can enjoy her hopping and springing all over the place.
New question for experienced herders:
How do you catch which goat is having occasional sticky poops? It’s not all the time, but I’ve found a few ‘dog poop’ manures here and there. I’ve seen them all poo though, and it’s always pellets. I’d have a fecal done, if I knew which goat it was!
Thanks so much!
Any chance it could be raccoon, coyote or fox poop?