B&B Happy Goats....journal

Xerocles

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
MANY years ago I went bareboating in the Virgin Islands twice. Yep, EVERY afternoon a shower came through then it cleared.
Bareboating? I tried that once on Lake Murray. We both got ticketed with indecent exposure (even though I thought her exposure was pretty decent)

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
unfortunately we had forgotten to clean the back of the Samsung refrigerator that we bought in 2018....the compressor fan stopped working...so did the fridge and freezer
We lead parallel lives? I brought home the 7 cu ft chest freezer from the house we just sold, the 5 cu ft one I bought a few years ago has proven too small. And since we already own a bigger one and I was bringing the truck up here anyway it made sense. With a fair bit of effort we got it into the house, leveled on a floor that slopes in 2 directions, I cleaned it inside and out (hadn't been used for several years) and ..... it won't go below about 38°F :he It worked FINE when we lived in the house! I'm thinking MAYBE it just ran out of "freon" and MAYBE I can "recharge" it. Not going to call the repair people. If the compressor is shot (like the one on our 6 Y/O refrigerator a few months back), I'm not going to pay nearly a grand to get it fixed.

I was going to ask what bareboating meant...I think I might have a clue now....oh you guys!!🤣🤣🤣
@Xerocles is messing with you! Bareboating means you rent the boat, no crew, bring your own provisions though they will happily sell you food and have the boat stocked when you arrive. But you have to have some experience before they will rent the boat out; 45' sailboats are really expensive ;) And while one is bareboating, they get to see how many people have never anchored out, always tied up to a buoy or dock. Bringing the boat to a stop and throwing the anchor over the side with enough rode to reach the bottom plus a little is pretty much a guarantee that the boat won't be in that place very long. It is especially "fun" when people do that then go below unaware that every boat downwind of them is getting real nervous as the boat drifts.

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I guess you could always use it for a chest refrigerator....

Your sailing adventure sounds adventurous 😄!
You must be pretty skilled to operate a 45' sailboat. I was on a sailboat exactly once. We went whale watching on a beautiful little boat (I say little but maybe it was big for a sailboat) which was old and had belonged to, um... somebody famous whose name I don't remember. It was fun for a little while, but pretty cold (February in San Diego). I went "below" to warm up and got green. Had to go back up on deck so I could see the horizon. It was only 3 hours but seemed much longer. And we never saw one single whale.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Too bad the whales weren't cooperating! I've never gone whale watching.

"Big" sailboats are like pretty much like smaller ones especially if they are both sloop rigged. 1 Main, 1 jib. Just WAY bigger lines and winches. The biggest problem we had was we all were used to light fin keeled boats and the boats in the V.I. were big heavy long keel "cruising" boats. When you tack a fin keel boat you put the helm over, bring the sails across and when you were almost pointing where you want to go center the helm and head off. Not so on the big cruiser, wait that long and you go in a circle.

We had to learn to center the helm as soon as the bow crossed the wind, the momentum kept the boat turning for some time. That boat was named "Princess Heather II". She was nicknamed "Heather the Ignorant Slut" by one of my sister's friends. I THINK it is a knock off from some movie. Maybe someone knows. The refrigerator on that boat was so deep my 5'2" sister had her feet off the ground reaching for the bottom.

Xerocles

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My brain works in mysterious ways and I just remembered the name of the sailboat -Jada. Apparently it is still used for charter sails. We were on it over 30 years ago to celebrate my MIL's birthday.
You're doing better than me. In the same scenario "Jada" would have popped into my head and suddenly I'd be thinking "now after all these years WHY did I remember that?" LOL

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
@rachels.haven , thanks for telling me the real meaning of bareboating...and, imagine that.. @Xerocles , actually messing with me? No...not him!!🤣🤣🤣.
@B&B Happy goats ...our washing Machine went in the fritz on Easter. The water wouldnt drain. What do you do? Can’t call anyone? Can go to Lowe’s right now...luckily I have a hubby that can fix everything....he took apart the drain valve on the bottom..it was all full of....hay!! Yikes..my fault totally!! Also had a bunch of screws and $0.73 ...also my fault for not checking pockets well enough. But, we both got a chuckle, since it wasn’t a big deal...whoosh! That dumb hay is everywhere in my house every day, no matter what!!