B&B Happy Goats....journal

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, porkers are not the easiest thing to steal....as anyone can tell you. Like Bay, mine loaded with a treat. BUT you have to have a trailer set at the gate/opening. Not a fast thing. You sure can't grab them like chickens and I'd love to watch them chase one 😁

Sure unsettling to see them being looked at!

I agree hot wire ... That's an unpleasant "find" as we know. Some solar motion lights may help deter? I hate the country is seeing so much of this. But the stresses out there can tempt even those who would not normally act out -- those already criminally inclined just use the situation at hand.
Lol, the image in my mind of someone trying to get those pigs over the fence makes me chuckle 😊...we have our place lit up at night with motion lights, the blinking camera lights and the big street light we had installed when we bought the land, other than our place, it's pitch black around here....the hot wire strands are definitely getting added and I am giving much thought on the offer of putting in the trip wires....the thought of someone going over our Fences and hitting the trip wire setting off blank shotgun shells kinda tickles my evil mind, they definitely deserve anything the get from the shock of the hot wire to thinking someone is shooting at them, ...fair warning has been given,.....we keep everything so locked up that we would have a hard time breaking in here, let alone four dogs in the house barking at strange sounds....you just can't fix stupid, but we can prepare for more of it for sure ...

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm so sorry that you are being targeted by scumballs. :hugsThat situation I think will increase for all of us, sadly. Good for you for standing up for what's yours. It might not be a bad thing to be seen walking around on your property with a shotgun.
Also, I agree with Bay, your dogs are cute, a target for theft, but not a visual deterrent probably.
Maybe you should get a pitty as a yard dog. They at least have a menacing image.
The ones I have known have been sweet natured.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Rotties are fun too and can be less gamey than pit bull terriers-but unlike LGD's that think and evaluate if they should obey, the one's I've met have been actually stubborn hardheads and a little dense, which is fun in it's own right if you have it in you to rise to the challenge and contend to put them through their paces. I'm not sure they will actually eat anyone unfortunately. The ones I dealt with also preferred being sat upon by pre-k children as if they were carpets rather than guarding or being alert. But they look scary. Pits live longer and are more available though...

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have been thinking about another dog, , really loved my Doberman but not too sure how one would work out with the farm animals,...will give that option some thought.for sure as adding a fifth dog to be our personal protection / guard dog requires that it would have to get along with all the animals, deal with four intact dogs, puppies, people coming to visit or pick up a puppy , ...then still be able to know when being aggressive is needed......I have had pits, awesome dogs but extremely common here and I wouldn't trust one with puppies and all the animals .....love rottie"s,.. but not the drool lol.....
Today the dog next door was running loose and the reaction that my four surprised me....Milo ran up on the porch for safety (5 months old ) , while the other three were all teeth and barking madly at the other dog who came to the side gate.... If I was at someone's doing something unwelcome and heard that noise...I would run like crazy lol....(if I couldn't see the dogs)
We are starting on the wire tomorrow , may order two more motion lights and I am pretty sure I will do the trip wires....
have been reading about different guard dog breeds, but haven't settled on any as I still need to do my homework before I jump into another dog.... lot's to think about for sure,...thank you for the suggestions 😊 :love

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Some areas are more prone to theft and rustling than others. Part has to do with what to do/can do with the animals or whatever property is at risk. The economy in the area is another consideration. With the large military presence and support activity, a huge container port, truck and railroad distribution, plus shipbuilding....our area is more stable economically than others. Yes, all the closed down business is suffering (restaurants, bars, small shops) the workering are trying hard to help support food banks, utility assistance, etc. There are problems but, so far the desperation is being controlled.

Personally, I feel very safe. Here the food distribution is good for those who need it. Rent and mortgage has received some support from various state grants, it helps. Not perfect. Utility assists have been available here for years....state funds and contributions. Several free clinics and shelters. I am Blessed to not have needed it but, thankful to know it is there if I do! Lot of us live on limited income.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
@farmerjan ...Jazz and Milo are both standard poodles..Winston and Lilly are labradoodles,... while I don't think the labradoodles would do much more than bark at any danger perceived, I do think the two standards would / could be very assertive in a ugly situation, at least long enough to get my gun and take care of the problem...perhaps we already have what we need , just need the dogs to create enough distraction so one of us can take care of the problem.... 😊
Sorry that standard spoo bit you....:(....most people think they are "prissy" dogs...nope, extremely smart thinking and very loyal animals to their human......I actually am enjoying the standard poodles more than the two labradoodles as far as training and intelligence, but the grooming is a pain for sure....that's why they are all kept in short coats here, no foo foo cuts for my kids , we have work to do:love

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not too long ago there was a mention of bamboo growing as a possible feed source for goats, ...the small bamboo in the first photo is the same age as the other two pictures, it was kept in a container at my neighbors until she handed it to me last month and I planted it. The other two pictures are of the same plants set into the ground a year and a half ago, ...they are Seabreeze bamboo, grow very fast (uo to 35 feet tall) and grow in clumps of 5 feet ( non invasive vs running bamboo) ...the pictures don't do it justice but in less than two years it is over 16 feet tall and thriving.....we set a inside fence about ten foot away from the no climb to keep the goats off it until the plants send shoots into the goats area for eating.....they goats LOVE it, we get the wanted privacy, some afternoon shade for the goats and they are just starting to enjoy the shoots to eat, next year I expect it to be fuller and we may put a gate into the area for easier access for them. ...or just let them eat what grows into their area, we absolutely love it and so do our goats.