Back with Questions about Dotti and kids

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Poor Dottie. You sure are a good goat mommy and you are taking good care of her and the babies. I have sheep, none have ever knawed at the teats like this. I'm sure your Dottie isn't the only one to experience this.

StarSpangledNubians

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
IMO, I think you are definitely doing the right thing. I am planning to pull all my dairy kids next year due to this reason(Well, one of many reasons) I've had to sell 2 does due to this reason. With a dairy goat, if the udder is destroyed she can't do much other then produce kids, and even then you won't have milk for them. So normally they are culled. Even with meat breeds, as they would no longer be able to raise kids with no udder. Most goats are fine with kids on them but sometimes, especially with multiples, you can end up with problems if they favor one teat. As far as what that family said to you. These are not wild (goats without owners) goats. They have been domesticated, bred to look and produce a specific way. Wild goats adapted and evolved to live and survive in the wild. And these problems do occur in the wild, but they are wild. We don't normally see the deaths, we don't see the problems. Normally if these things happen the animal dies, or you just can't tell because they don't want to show weakness. We have changed goats in many ways. I find goats have more problems then people say. Like 99.9% of kidding do fine naturally. I find it is more of 60%. Anyways, If you left them on her, you could have risked infection, issues with future kidding, etc. Just my 2 cents.

Louannx

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I am so overwhelmed by all the support of you all. @Baymule @frustratedearthmother @StarSpangledNubians

I’m probably like a lot of others that said “hey let’s get some goats”, not knowing all the work that goes into it. But I am so attached and cannot image not having them now, but i was NOWHERE prepared for not knowing much about them.

Dotti did look infected yesterday and they took another layer of the skin off that her scab was covering. It was just hanging so I went straight for the iodine. Today, she looks totally better. I just got through with their last bottle and checked Dotti, her udder looks nice and healing up well. It is not swollen tight or full and she is letting me feel around. It is a nice warm to the touch, so I believe again I was blessed and fortunate to a good outcome. I did slip her a handful of Cheerios while I praised her since I have her on grass hay and water.

With Dotti, we have just had one thing after another happen, which none of it was her fault. She could not help two kids tried to come out at once or that I waited so long to go in and get them or that the littler one was not getting enough to eat or that they tried to nawl off her teat. This is all my fault and a good learning experience. I think it is my ignorance and lack of knowledge that has lead a change of events. Unfortunately, I don’t know anyone with goats, so google and this forum is all I have. And by the way, google sucks with information. Lol

Again, thank you for all the support, and patiently listening to a beginners frustrations.

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Have you tried raisins for Dotti? I discovered tonight my kids go more crazy over raisins than they do for Cheetos. Brawn is a complete heartthrob! I have not tried breeding any goats yet. I’m pretty green about goats. But I’m learning. I have found this group has a lot better information than anything I’ve googled as well. Good luck on your goats. You have beautiful goats.

Louannx

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Have you tried raisins for Dotti? I discovered tonight my kids go more crazy over raisins than they do for Cheetos. Brawn is a complete heartthrob! I have not tried breeding any goats yet. I’m pretty green about goats. But I’m learning. I have found this group has a lot better information than anything I’ve googled as well. Good luck on your goats. You have beautiful goats.
Thank you so much! Yes Dotti loves raisins, carrots and apples.

Googling is a lot of misinformation. Half the stuff is do and half the stuff is don’t. :)

Louannx

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
@frustratedearthmother
I am sad to write this. I did some reading up on the bite and parrot mouth. After looking at Brawn this morning, he has an underbite that completely misses the top gums. But what is even more concerning is I discovered he has maybe a cleft palate. His is curved and the last half is deep caveous line. I believe I have found the problem and they say it is unfixable. He does get a runny nose at times and milk does come out but I figured it was because he had a cold.

Looking at Coco, her mouth is normal and there is no denying that Brains is deformed. I am not sure if I should put him down at this point. I need to do more reading. I think maybe I should put Coco back with Dotti, her udder looks great. Suggestions? What should I do at this point with both of them?

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am so sorry to hear this - but there had to be an explanation for how he was always trying to nurse and how Dotti's udder was getting chewed up. I've never had any personal experience with this so I have no words of wisdom... I'm sure others will chime in with ideas. If not - maybe a call to your vet just for some advice?