baling hay

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
wynedot55 said:
they be shipping a bunch of horses to old mexico.because their are horse slaughter houses there.an shipping the meat to the overseas markets.
The average person can't afford to though. Already there are reports of horses being turned loose because the owner can't afford to keep them and no one wants them. :(

Audreyvgs

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
omg you guys, i'm in the lowest west part of Florida before you have to swim to Key West, and we at best are paying 9 bucks a bale, most likely 11 soon, for a BALE of T&A. The other stuff is called coastal, and the wheels were always over 100.

TELL ME WHERE YOU ARE, im drivin up soon! (not really, but i would like to know where you are., like state.

People here are abandoning their dogs, inSIDE their houses. not only are they leaving, they just expect that someone will check. Its awful. 2 houses down there are 2 houses, brand new abandoned. The parking lot of the apartment building across the street is 1/4 full at best.

just plain corn is like 10 bucks a bag, just the kernels. My chikn food is14 bucks to 16 bucks for the hi protein.

wish me luck

allenacres

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I just pd about 7 a bale for 20 tons delivered and stacked in my barn. I live in W. WA and this is local hay, 27-28 bales to a ton. Last year I fed out about 26 ton. This was also for horses, my own and training horses that come in. I will also need to get some orchard grass/alfalfa and alfalfa for winter supplementing.

I recently found a farmer very close to me and bought 20 haylage bales,1200lbs each, and I just switched my cattle over to round bales, also from him. The round bales are 750lbs and 55 each. I LOVE THEM! So do my cattle. Feeding haylage is new to me. Didnt know they had to ferment for 3 months, so I need to continue to get more round bales...and a feeder. The cattle are practically living in that round bale.

I wont discuss the horse slaughter issue, other than a better solution needs to be found.

Farmer Kitty I am envious of you. :D I love farm life, would not trade the small little farm we have here for anything....well except a bigger farm! :p

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
the custom baler just finished baling our hay wed.we baled 60acs an it made 183 5 by 6 1300lb round bales.left 20acs of standing hay.selling 40 acs of standing hay that should make 80 to 100 bales.

Chris aka Barney

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Kitty you're right about abandoning cattle. Before anyone wants to abandon any cattle in my area....I will take them and feed many hungry people in my area. We run a feeding mission "Hungry is as hungry does! I'll find use for the unwanted! :frow
Farmer Kitty said:
Chris aka Barney said:
The news said that people will be abandoning their cattle, horses etc. Prices are crazy. I feel for the folks who have to buy hay and can't afford the jacked up prices.
No reason to abandon cattle. You can sell them on slaughter market or butcher them for yourself.

Horses are another story. The only slaughter plant was shutdown and won't be reopening. Before, anyone jumps on me about eating horses, what do you propose to do with all the unwanted horses? This country frowns on eating horses because we see them as pets. Other countries see them as livestock and treat them the same as we do cows. There are some areas in the world that treat cows with high regard and wouldn't butcher them, I'm sure.

Katy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
The hubby is out baling as I write this.

I don't have a clue what hay is going for around here since we grow all our own cow feed.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
After today our chances of rain go away so, we hope to get back at baling hay. It's been over a week of rain pretty much everday here again.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
FINALLY, first cut hay is done! I don't think we have ever been this late getting it done either but, when the rain clouds forget how to shut off there isn't much you can do. My DH and I with a little bit of help from our DDs 9 and 3 are the only ones who run the farm. Here is what we put up.
2190 small square bales
135 large round bales
filled a 16x 50 ft. silo

We still have oats, soybean/sorgum mix, and corn that will be chopped as well as baling second cut to go.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
yall was doing alot of work filling the silo an putting hay in the barn.as well as the round bales.i bet your lil girls had fun helping you with all that work.i bet the 3yr old was getting into everything.an nice an dirty to boot.the 40acs of hay that we sold standing made 125 round bales.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
They both get pretty dirty! Greasy too if something breaks down they like to help fix. Including tractor engines! They have both had their little hands inside a tractor engine, putting it back together!