baling hay

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
oh me they sound like great lil helpers.they not girlie girls yet.enjoy them while you can.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Chris aka Barney said:
Kitty you're right about abandoning cattle. Before anyone wants to abandon any cattle in my area....I will take them and feed many hungry people in my area. We run a feeding mission "Hungry is as hungry does! I'll find use for the unwanted! :frow
Farmer Kitty said:
Chris aka Barney said:
The news said that people will be abandoning their cattle, horses etc. Prices are crazy. I feel for the folks who have to buy hay and can't afford the jacked up prices.
No reason to abandon cattle. You can sell them on slaughter market or butcher them for yourself.

Horses are another story. The only slaughter plant was shutdown and won't be reopening. Before, anyone jumps on me about eating horses, what do you propose to do with all the unwanted horses? This country frowns on eating horses because we see them as pets. Other countries see them as livestock and treat them the same as we do cows. There are some areas in the world that treat cows with high regard and wouldn't butcher them, I'm sure.
Have you heard the latest? Congress is now considering banning the export of live horses for slaughter. Meaning they want to stop the horses being sent to Canada and Mexico for slaughter. :he 45,000 horses have crossed our borders into Canada and Mexico for slaughter so far this year. No one has proposed what to do with all these horses if they stop selling them to be processed for food though. :barnie

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
thats easy if they ban shipping cull horses or unwanted horses out of the country.people that no longer want or tire of their horses will turn them out.or let them strave to death or shoot them.horses cost alot to feed.

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Not chiming in on the horse issue (we don't have any, and won't), but as for hay, we paid $3/bale for the 45-50 lb rectangular bales of gorgeous timothy in Winlock, about 30 minutes from us. (Bought it from a co-worker of my hubby's who's hayed for decades. One couple we met there has bought 1200 bales/year from him for the past 20 years.) We got 253 bales, hopefully more than we'll need for the season for our two girls. (Although at the rate they're chowing down, who knows?)

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
wynedot55 said:
thats easy if they ban shipping cull horses or unwanted horses out of the country.people that no longer want or tire of their horses will turn them out.or let them strave to death or shoot them.horses cost alot to feed.
Unfortunately, you are right and that is the problem. 45,000 horses so far this year. Those that would be shot outright don't bother me. It's those that are turned loose or starved to death.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
amysflock said:
Not chiming in on the horse issue (we don't have any, and won't), but as for hay, we paid $3/bale for the 45-50 lb rectangular bales of gorgeous timothy in Winlock, about 30 minutes from us. (Bought it from a co-worker of my hubby's who's hayed for decades. One couple we met there has bought 1200 bales/year from him for the past 20 years.) We got 253 bales, hopefully more than we'll need for the season for our two girls. (Although at the rate they're chowing down, who knows?)
I've been watching the adds here and they range from 2.50-3.00 per bale.

How long is your feeding season? I'm not familiar with how much scottish highlands (I believe that is what you have, right?) eat so I couldn't say if your okay or not. I'm just curious as to your season compared to ours. We usually end up starting to feed the big heifers that are on pasture about mid Sept. and it goes into May, depending on the spring. The rest of the cattle get feed year around. The cows pasture isn't big enough so they need chopping for and the small heifers have the same problem. :rolleyes:

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Kitty, we've been told to feed hay in mid-July-August (or when we notice the grass going dormant) and then again November-March/early April. We originally were going for 200 bales (recommended by our conservation district agent), then talked the farmer out of 250 and grabbed an extra 3 by mistake (with the farmer's help, LOL). We're pretty sure we're fine, although I am I guess surprised that the two girls can devour a single bale in 2 days with very little waste.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
we have hay out our ears this year just like last year.an sq bales are selling for $3 to $6 a bale.now the $6 hay an above are for the hosey people.some places you might find cow hay for $3 to $5 a bale.