Baymule’s 2021 Lambing

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
What do you not like about Moonpies lamb?
Moonpie is on the cull list. I have her mother and grandmother, both on the cull list. They always have single lambs, nothing spectacular. I want to sell the so-so ewes, and buy registered ewes that come twinning genetics, and just better quality ewes.

Daxigait

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Moonpie is on the cull list. I have her mother and grandmother, both on the cull list. They always have single lambs, nothing spectacular. I want to sell the so-so ewes, and buy registered ewes that come twinning genetics, and just better quality ewes.
isn't it always hard to make the cull list. but we have to make those hard choices if we want to have better animals. not to mention be able to feed the ones we want to keep.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
isn't it always hard to make the cull list. but we have to make those hard choices if we want to have better animals. not to mention be able to feed the ones we want to keep.
Yes, I have raised and named those on my cull list. They run to me when I call, they eat from my hand, they are pets. The flip side of that is that they are raised for consumption. To ever move forward into better quality, I must let go and replace them with ewes that better suit the direction that I want to go in.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lucy had twins last night. A ram and a ewe. Their names are Sale Barn. Lucy is not on the cull list, she gets to stay for now.

B776E5DF-F518-4BDB-A3B6-F03109CEE1E9.jpeg

0D4B698A-24E4-448B-8B13-19D2BC4517A5.jpeg

Kusanar

Loving the herd life
Reaction score

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Is she going to be on the cull list later? Just wondering why the lambs are immediately sale barn lambs. Nothing wrong with that, just learning.
Lucy’s sire was a poor quality Dorper ram. He was short coupled, no length of loin. He didn’t shed and neither does she. Even though she has twins, I haven’t been impressed with them.
My first sheep were 4 bred ewes, still have 3 of them, 1 is on the cull list. So when I needed a ram, I called the same lady we got the ewes from. I relied on her to select a ram. He wasn’t that great. I called my small flock my learning sheep and they have taught me well.
2 of my first ewes, Ewenique and Miranda Lambert, can stay until they die. Everyone else is under scrutiny.
Lambs this year will go to auction unless they really show a lot of promise.

Kusanar

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Lucy’s sire was a poor quality Dorper ram. He was short coupled, no length of loin. He didn’t shed and neither does she. Even though she has twins, I haven’t been impressed with them.
My first sheep were 4 bred ewes, still have 3 of them, 1 is on the cull list. So when I needed a ram, I called the same lady we got the ewes from. I relied on her to select a ram. He wasn’t that great. I called my small flock my learning sheep and they have taught me well.
2 of my first ewes, Ewenique and Miranda Lambert, can stay until they die. Everyone else is under scrutiny.
Lambs this year will go to auction unless they really show a lot of promise.
Makes sense. Thanks