Baymule’s 2021 Lambing

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the links. I’ll watch them on my laptop, on my phone now.

CL should be a big no-no in sheep too. I don’t want it in my flock! I got lucky with my first 4 ewes and ram, dumb luck I guess. I KNOW Ringo was tested 9 ways to Sunday and back, so no problem there. Soon we will be looking for quality registered ewes and I am going to be picky.

Kusanar

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks for the links. I’ll watch them on my laptop, on my phone now.

CL should be a big no-no in sheep too. I don’t want it in my flock! I got lucky with my first 4 ewes and ram, dumb luck I guess. I KNOW Ringo was tested 9 ways to Sunday and back, so no problem there. Soon we will be looking for quality registered ewes and I am going to be picky.
I believe most if not all of the disease issues she has in her flock came in with the first ewes she bought years ago. She didn't know better and got sheep she thought were healthy only to bring those diseases onto her property.

She now only brings in new rams (tries to outsource her rams and keep back ewe lambs from her flock) to bring in new blood but it is easier to be picky on rams as you need less of them.

She MIGHT be able to cull her entire flock and sanitize the barns, but since they spread their bedding and manure on their fields that they grow crops on to feed the sheep I'm not sure that would even work as the land it's self may be infected at this point. Since she only sells meat sheep to market and doesn't sell sheep to other farmers and is VERY clear as to what bugs she has on her property and in her flock and what her maintenance is to keep it down and not making much impact, the very rare times that someone asks her to sell them some sheep directly, they know exactly what they are looking at and what they will be getting.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I will be selling some ewes for the first time. My previous culls went to slaughter. These are good ewes, but don’t fit the direction I’m going in.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think she has orf, CL, and chlamydia. IDK if she sells breeders or just terminal animals. She is transparent, and I respect that. The thing that amazes me other than the multi week whirlwind lambings 3 or 4x/year is that she doesn't appear to have worm issues. I guess you can breed for that especially in meat animals.
With all those diseases out there and more, you did get lucky @Baymule , and I'm so glad you did. You sheep are nice!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Today was a gorgeous sunny day. The ewes and lambs were enjoying the sunshine and grass. Tiny and Reject stayed on my heels. It was a sit in the grass, hug lambs kind of day. BJ was watching and he snapped pictures.

61A1428F-0E02-4584-90A0-C9E8C6FBCB46.jpeg

Sheba saw the lambs getting attention and wanted some too.

A2BCDAA0-AB4C-4AD3-9B30-63CC8E2FE236.jpeg

AEBB7A2D-C3E1-4DDD-88E5-CB3EB764D9C6.jpeg

Sentry came running up and gave me a slurpy kiss.

4EEBCF58-E440-44FE-ACC7-413DF58B077A.jpeg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Haha, my plans were to sell all lambs this year........ I’m selling 6 ewes so I can buy registered Katahdin ewes. So now that all my ewes have lambed, I’m still selling 6 ewes to cull the flock. About selling ALL the lambs.... Lucy, daughter of Miranda, had an outstanding ram lamb, so nice that I’ll try to sell him as a commercial flock sire. Her ewe lamb is super nice too-KEEPER. Miranda herself had triplet ewes, one is Tiny, bottle baby, all 3-KEEPERS. Then Scottie, also daughter of Miranda and a triplet herself, gifted me with 2 ewe lambs-KEEPERS.

Selling 6 ewes from the flock, keeping 6 ewe lambs........ I am seriously afflicted. I almost forgot, keeping Frimplepants too!

Looks like Miranda is going to be my foundation ewe for my commercial flock. I can’t wait to get some registered ewes.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Your GRASS is lovely !!! I know how long and hard you have worked for that. Ya did good. Also love that your hair matches the lamb colors. :love Those bottle lambs think you always have food for them. My one bottle babe, at 3 yrs, still expects a treat.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
The 13 year old granddaughter went on a Christian retreat with a friend and her family. She will be back Friday night. Our DD and DSIL went away to rest, sleep, do nothing and put their stressed brains back together. They will be back Friday. The two little girls are here. They have bottle fed the lambs, the lambs nibble their rubber boots, jackets, pants, hair, whatever they can get. The girls are delighted.

BE54DB93-F6CF-4503-8078-D652ABFE9E38.jpeg

Ewenique came up for her share of attention. She’s never going anywhere. Pictures like this are priceless.

82EB8960-7643-4789-992F-28DC0CF6023C.jpeg

A mischievous lamb tugging on jacket fringe!

18572391-F57E-4610-8AD6-12FAC92B3DE5.jpeg

Tiny learning how to unzip a jacket.

3E211039-FC8D-44B6-B49B-B785C758F95D.jpeg