Baymule' 3rd Lambing

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Congratulations from me, too. Gorgeous.... It's great to see a birth through, especially when the outcome is so good.

I'm also dazzled by the dry land....we have about 2 feet of mud everywhere on account of the vile wet weather.

OzarkSerenityAcres

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
When I have expecting ewes, I check them first thing when I get up. Lily is the last to Lamb. I had already done morning chores and was looking out the bathroom window and noticed she was restless. She dug nests, laid down, then was up again.

This is the first time we got to watch a birth.

View attachment 43307

After repeated down-push-up she had the Lamb half hanging out, and gave a final push.

View attachment 43308

View attachment 43309

Lily licked and baa’d softly to her Lamb. He was on his feet and nursing within 8 minutes.

View attachment 43311

Trip kept a close eye on things.

View attachment 43312

View attachment 43313
Your Dog is AWESOME!!!! Babies are adorable!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I selected a ram lamb to keep for a flock sire, his name is Speckles, for the tiny black specks scattered down his sides.

I had two other ram lambs that I wasn't going to keep. Keeping them as rams instead of wethers was a pain. I really don't have enough pastures to keep weaned ewes, weaned ram lambs, and the ewe flock all separated. Normally I keep the lambs to slaughter size and sell them as meat. But I didn't want to keep the ram lambs that long and there was a ewe lamb that I didn't want to add to my flock.

So I entered into the realm of Craigslist to sell them. I got a few inquiries, but nothing happened. Last night I bumped up my ad, within minutes I got an inquiry, we struck a deal and he was going to be here at 9 AM to pick them up. We went out this morning, separated, moved the ewes to the pipeline pasture, penned lambs and put up a cow panel loading chute. Then we waited. An hour went by and I sent an email to him. No answer. Starting to get ticked off. DH went to the neighbor's to help with building the porch, I weeded the garden.

I got an email at 12 noon that he was on his way. DH called him after another freaking hour went by....he had forgotten the money and had to go back home to get it. Finally, after 1:30, he showed up. I loathe, hate and despise lateness. What I really wanted to do was pinch his head off for not showing the courtesy of a text or phone call. But I really wanted to see those ram lambs gone, so instead I smiled and chewed my tongue off, being nice instead of letting him have the full force of my wrath.

He was driving a brand new van. No trailer. Huh? I mean, I have done terrible things to my vehicles, but never have I ever loaded up 3 sheep in a brand new vehicle. It even smelled new, but I bet it smells like lamb poop and pee now! LOL He turned out to be a nice guy, even if a bit rude for not communicating.

We loaded up the ram lambs through the chute. The ewe lambs were penned separately, so he caught the ewe lamb and walked her to the van. I helped push her in, while holding the ram lambs in, and they were loaded! He had already paid for them, so we visited a few minutes and he said to call him when we have lambs again. So, at 2:40 he left. That's a far cry from 9 AM. What a day.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I so don't love those kind of people. We have been selling a lot of things that we bought in prep for things we thought we would be doing but changed direction. Things like a milking stand and a slew of other things that we thought we would use when we were still making more $. :)

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
We buy off Craigslist, but I have never been so inconsiderate as this guy today. I must sound sincere over the phone, because several times we couldn't make it to the seller's place for a few days and the sellers actually took their post down and held the items for us.

When I sold my mule, after talking to the guy, I took my post down and held her for 5 days for him to pick her up. She was gone within 30 minutes after I posted her, got several inquiries, but he was the first.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
My power lifting days are over so we sold my weight set and bench to a young fellow a few towns over. It was a super good deal and he committed early and sounded genuine. He came by yesterday and we weren't disappointed. We had offers on the bench and weight set for more than we were asking but held it for him.