BEST COYOTE KILLER BREEDS - SUGGESTIONS!

woodsie

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Southern by choice said:
woodsie- with the history of your escape artists I would not recommend this. Your dogs should remain with your animals. I am always in favor of helping out another but... this IMO could cause more issues with your own dogs.
Yeah that is probably my biggest concern...the only reason I was even thinking about it is because the City property he's on was a former jail and has a fully contained 11 foot high chainlink fence around the perimeter but somehow the coyotes are getting in so there must be a way in (Maybe slinking into the river to get around the fence). Plus I didn't want them to get confused with what is their property. I will see what he does - I like the suggestion of the Kangal/Anatolian.

Update: We sometimes take the dogs on a leash to pee on different stuff around our property and Samson once we made the rounds will actually go back to the pen on his own, I think he is aftually bonding with the sheep and goats! :weee Winnie not so much, I still have to drag her back into the pen, she just wants to play with the kids and sniff the bunnies. :idunno

treeclimber233

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I am no expert about the fighting abililty of GP but I am betting that if you "loan" your dogs to the neighbor IF you can get his dogs to accept your dogs and they all run down the yotes in the heat of the battle his dogs might forget your dogs are friends. They might just try to kill anything that is not from their pack. And if he has a fully contained 11 foot fence then the coyotes are probably not coming in as a pack but singly so there is no reason his dogs cant do the job by themselves.

woodsie

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
treeclimber233 said:
I am no expert about the fighting abililty of GP but I am betting that if you "loan" your dogs to the neighbor IF you can get his dogs to accept your dogs and they all run down the yotes in the heat of the battle his dogs might forget your dogs are friends. They might just try to kill anything that is not from their pack. And if he has a fully contained 11 foot fence then the coyotes are probably not coming in as a pack but singly so there is no reason his dogs cant do the job by themselves.
Agreed....the thought had crossed my mind too...I was never really interested in loaning my dogs but would love to see the coyotes go. My dad just got a gun and he may just have to do a late night steak out!

goatboy1973

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You need a Llama or a full size female donkey. They can dispatch a whole pack of coyotes all by themselves and they have a natural "hate" for canids like dogs, coyotes, foxes, or wolves.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm no expert at this, but I think the goal with a livestock guard dog is to keep predators away.

Their presence is 90% of their job.

If yours have to do battle with packs of coyotes, I think you are in trouble.

I'm not familiar with any breed bred to kill coyotes.

Guns, night vision goggles and late nights seems what you need. Maybe poisoned bait.

CityClucker

Just born
Reaction score
English mastiffs as well as pitbulls have actually worked extremly well for my uncle, I personally use coonhounds such as redbones and walkers.

bcnewe2

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Couple thoughts from my end...
Is your neighbor losing livestock or just knows they are out there?

I had a llama and moved to the backwoods of AR. there were hardly any neighbors, we were really out there.

With in the first week I lost 5 sheep to coyotes. my poor llama went bizerk trying to help. He could not fight the pack alone.

Got 2 pyrs asap. Never lost another thing.

For me we found the llama would lead the sheep to safety or what he perceived as safety and the dogs would do the dirty work. But they didn't kill the coyotes just made darn sure they didn't get any sheep. Someone mentioned earlier that LGD's protect and deter predators, I don't think that means killing them unless it comes to that. Why do they need to die if they aren't able to get anything.

From what I understand predators are a lazy lot. They will go after easy prey. LGD's make their charges hard to get to and not "easy". Usually sending the predators on to easier pickings.

We lived in CO in the mountains. We saw bear and cougar right next to the house. I had 2 LGD's, Akbash, but they weren't killers just protectors. neither the bears or the cougars ever got to our sheep. Again being lazy predators they just moved on to easier prey.

I find it hard to fathom 5 dogs can't do the job that is needed. Unless the goats are spread out I really don't get it.

What used to happen down in AR was llama took sheep to safety, and dogs chased off predators. If no predators but lambing happened, 1 dog stayed with lambing ewe while the other dog stayed with his pack.

How the heck big is this pack of coyotes?

Could you advertise in CL or something similar for someone to come in and kill the coyotes? I have a friend way out in the country. He has guys come in and hunt the coyotes. Not sure about the legalities but I'm sure you could find out what's legal in your area.

One more thing....
I like cattle dogs, like the one pictured above. But I wouldn't want to put one in with my sheep. They have more of a herding background than a protecting background. I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule but left unsupervised I could see things going badly. Plus I don't think 1 of anything is going to help and put a bunch of cattle dogs together and I'd think you'd really get yourself into trouble. Again they are a working or herding dog so excited by moving prey or livestock.

Not to knock whoever posted that their CD is a good one, I'm sure it is. Just what I've experienced.

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I also have an English Mastiff and she is wonderful at chasing coyotes away and keeping the predators from coming onto the property. I'm sure she would kill one if she could catch it, but alas, English Mastiffs are pretty slow when it comes to the runners of the dog world.

I do have a Malamute/ German Shepherd/ Wolf mix that if I let him off his run he will actually hunt and chase down coyotes and kill them. I have heard him in the middle of the night killing coyotes (before we put him in his run). But he does all this of his own volition and I think it was because he was raised out on an Indian Reservation hunting and doing wild things.

However, I agree with the above poster. The job of a LGD is to "scare away" the predators before they ever get close enough. And I too can't fathom why 5 dogs wouldn't be enough for coyotes. :idunno

bcnewe2

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Had to add to the poision bait idea. I had that idea once. Didn't kill what I intended, but did kill local wildlife that didn't need killing. It made me very sad to think I killed something that should never have been poisioned. Can't help but wonder what else I killed.

Unless you can be sure only your intended enemies get to the bait, be very careful.
Just adding to my story of what has and hasn't worked for us! not knocking someone elses uses or ideas.