1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Do you think Pony Rides should be allowed at Fairs? - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

BEST COYOTE KILLER BREEDS - SUGGESTIONS!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by woodsie, Mar 19, 2013.

1. May 29, 2013
    Boor122009

Boor122009 Just born

Woodsie, your lucky it's just coyotes and not Canadian Mackenzie Valley Wolves. Instead of putting more dogs at risk of death or injury, my best advice would be to sort it out with a firearm. Yes, this sounds awful, but it's the best and most cost affective way to handle this. A more humane way would be to trap and relocate the coyotes. Your local environmental management should be able to help.

Getting back to your request for breeds, well, that depends on whether you want to hunt then or have LGD's that will chase and kill them? Your large sight-hounds(Borzoi, greyhounds, Irish wolfhounds, Scottish Deer hounds, etc.) have all been used to hunt predators. LGD breeds all have a different way they protect the flock, no one way is better than the other, but a combination of there tactics is the best. Whether it be dogs that chase and kill, dogs that that stay back with the flock and defend from there or dogs who patrol and report back. So the best way to combat predators would be to incorporate dogs who have all these characteristics. Remember, building up your pack means more money and this may not be cost effective for some, but will pay out in the long run. Kangals, Central Asian Shepherds, Caucasian Ovcharkas, Spanish Mastiffs, Akabash, Anatolian Shepherd all chase and eradicate. Great Pyr, marremma, Kuvasz all tend to stay back and fight.

whatever you decide, Good Luck!!!

whisperingsage likes this.
  2. Apr 26, 2015
    Ridgetop

Ridgetop True BYH Addict

Pops2: Great info on kill dogs,but you would have to have several and keep them kenneled until they were taken out to chase and kill the coyotes. My question as always is: Has he lost stock? If not, then his dogs are working fine. If a coyote comes in and won't leave the LGD will kill it. If it is a large pack cpmong in they will kill a single LGD. Getting a younger male LGD to replace his aged GP is what he needs. His heelers are herding dogs. They might fight the coyotes to protect the sheep, but are not bred to do it. Many of my friends with herding dogs kennel them when not there to supervise them since many herding dogs will herd on their own.

Woodsie: Loaning your LGDs should never be an option since his LGDs won't accept them and it will take time for your dogs to learn the territory and bond with his goats.

If the coyotes keep coming into the property, call a professional hunter who is licensed for predator control. If he can't hunt coyotes within city limits, he may be able to trap them and kill them. Hav-a-hart makes large size live traps. I don't believe in trap and release for coyotes. They have adapted to city life too well. In Burbank, CA (yes, Burbank, home of many major TV studios!) packs of coyotes roam the city parks and in some places people can't take their dogs for a walk without the risk of attack. They eat fruit, pets, possums, rats, and trash, etc.

Hope things go well.

whisperingsage likes this.
  3. Oct 25, 2017
    whisperingsage

whisperingsage Exploring the pasture

We have the great Pyrnanees/Anatolian crosses, there are several of the giant Livestock guardian breeds that will kill coyotes, ours have killed 2 that we know of, killed, stripped and eaten. They dropped the skin and bones at our feet. Now, however, California has reintroduced wolves into our county and keep in mind, I wouldn't be comfortable with just ONE dog, I have to have a pack myself. I grew up with a pack of dogs (latchkey kids, single Mom) and she made sure there were no less than 7 dogs to guard us. As children we just had every breed, all free. But as a herder of goats/sheep and poultry and rabbits, I don't rely on these dogs as pets (they are very serious and not pet material- and tend to be dominant. Anytime I toodle around the farm doing things, my dogs whine at me. They don't like not being in control and I stress them out. They may never, ever accept you as alpha, so understand that. In addition, they aren't great at understanding harmful humans. Once they bond with livestock, that species is off limits for harm. That includes us, so I am not confident their psychology will allow them to hurt a human that is hurting me and that's a great concern for us out in the boonies, as our sheriffs have ignored a murder of one of our church members, and declared her death "natural causes" when there was an obvious struggle, broken out front window, naked in November, 1/4 mile from the house in the bushes. So we are pretty much pioneer frontier country and have to fend for ourselves. I am looking at getting another Rottie to add to the pack. My first one was awesome, and protected me from rapists. Plus they are better at being pets.

4. Oct 25, 2017
    whisperingsage

whisperingsage Exploring the pasture

frustratedearthmother likes this.
  5. Oct 25, 2017
    Latestarter

Latestarter Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry Golden Herd Member

Greetings and welcome to BYH @whisperingsage I see you joined quite a while back... Glad you finally jumped in :clap Although I hate to point out, the last (most recent before yours) post to this thread was like 2 1/2 years ago (almost to the day) :hide... Ah well... be that as it may, please feel free to jump in wherever you please :) You mentioned that you live in CA. You really should put at least your general location in your profile as location is pretty important if you ask for or give advice or help. Please also consider doing a brief introduction in the new member section so folks can welcome you properly. Make yourself at home!

BrendaMNgri likes this.
  6. Apr 9, 2018
    Rammy

Rammy Herd Master Golden Herd Member

I would go with a gun over a dog. As others have posted, coyotes are good at luring a dog away and then the pack will be waiting. Ive heard of peoples dogs in the area that this has happened to. Maybe you could check with some other neighbors with livestock and see what they do to control these predators? I would sure hate to read you lost one of your furry babies to one of these nasty critters.

Rammy

7. Nov 2, 2018
    Steve Quintavalli

Steve Quintavalli Chillin' with the herd

Yea, I have heard and seen images/videos of donkeys destroying predators but I didn't know llamas could, I thought they just scared them...

8. Nov 2, 2018
    Steve Quintavalli

Yea, a 22-250 with thermal sights, silencer, and subsonic ammo.....no one will ever know.

9. Nov 2, 2018
    Steve Quintavalli

Yea, the LGDs should be keeping the coyotes at bay, which it seems like they are doing, right? Nothing has been taken? Anyway, if the coyotes learn they will die if they go after the livestock the rest should learn to stay clear. If all the coyotes die, then new coyotes will take up residence and you have to start over again....so I have read, I have no real world experience but it seems to work that with nefarious human groups.

10. Mar 28, 2019
    halopay

halopay Herd lurker

Rhodesian Ridgeback.

Those bastards won’t stand a chance
    Navy seal = ridgeback
    to Human to Dog

There’s no better all around, stronger, faster, protective hunter killer.