BEST COYOTE KILLER BREEDS - SUGGESTIONS!

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
bcnewe2 said:
Had to add to the poision bait idea. I had that idea once. Didn't kill what I intended, but did kill local wildlife that didn't need killing. It made me very sad to think I killed something that should never have been poisioned. Can't help but wonder what else I killed.

Unless you can be sure only your intended enemies get to the bait, be very careful.
Just adding to my story of what has and hasn't worked for us! not knocking someone elses uses or ideas.
I was the one who posted that. After thinking about it some more, I agree with you. Probably not a good idea.

Probably more likely to get an unintended target than a the coyotes.

The Grim Raker

Reaction score
I am not joking when suggesting Galloway cattle - I have seen them attack a pack of coys, they didn't stare for any length of time they just ran at and did the attack bellow, snot and stomp.
The downside is a Galloway is thinking about itself or a calf where a dog will be thinking about everybody its supposed to be protecting

bcnewe2

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have seen some mean cattle, almost any beef cattle are rank. Specially if they have a calf on them. But you mentioned they are out to protect themselves, which might also mean taking on a curious goat. I used to have to retrieve my sheep out of the neighbors cattle. Used my best herding dog, we were lucky there weren't any cow/calf pairs. My sheep were sly, they'd look at us through the fence and I swear I heard them laughing. Neighbors felt sorry for me and bought me an above ground swimming pool ladder at a garage sale. That summer I walked around with little holes in the back of all my T-shirts... Barbwire. Good for cattle bad for sheep! Are Galloway cattle on the small side? I think I know what they are...

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
bcnewe2 said:
I have seen some mean cattle, almost any beef cattle are rank. Specially if they have a calf on them. But you mentioned they are out to protect themselves, which might also mean taking on a curious goat. I used to have to retrieve my sheep out of the neighbors cattle. Used my best herding dog, we were lucky there weren't any cow/calf pairs. My sheep were sly, they'd look at us through the fence and I swear I heard them laughing. Neighbors felt sorry for me and bought me an above ground swimming pool ladder at a garage sale. That summer I walked around with little holes in the back of all my T-shirts... Barbwire. Good for cattle bad for sheep! Are Galloway cattle on the small side? I think I know what they are...
I've met some very mean dairy bulls. Particularly Jersey's. I'll never forget one starring at me growling.

woodsie

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I orgininally posted this thread and have not kept up....very interesting suggestions.

We are pretty sure our rancher neighbour (the one who accused my dogs killing his cattle...posted in a different thread) is doing a fine job feeding them at the moment. We continuously hear a pack of coyotes doing their pack kye-yaeying (sp?) at all hours of the day at the ranch property.

My neighbour that was looking for a coyote killer has settled down and as he has not lost any goats of his 350 head and is not in a panic and is going to stay with the G Pyrs. He's hoping to get a male patroller GP as his old one is just that, REALLY old. The other options are just too risky as he takes the goats into public parks and having a people aggressive dogs are just too much of a liability. My dogs are doing a great job with their barking on the hill and have kept the coyotes at bay and have not heard or seen any evidence of coyotes on our property.

The gun is the best option but we are in city limits so technically it is illegal and he is residing on city property so a little risky.

They are a real problem here - I was speaking with someone that works at the saw-mill a mile down the road and he said the coyotes are not scared of people at ALL and will stand and stare down the machine operators and move just far enough to not get squished by the buckets. I think we have a couple dens of coyotes in the surrounding area and with the new pups the population really should be downsized.

CritterZone

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
It really is too bad you are within the city limits. We live very rural and have a lot of coyotes, and bears, bobcats and cougars. We have two dogs, but consider them only a short-term deterrent. Whenever a coyote comes within binocular view of the barn, we shoot at them. When we first bought our place, they were bold enough to come into the barn. Now they stay outside our fenceline and well away from our sheep and chickens. We haven't lost a animal to the coyotes yet. They are bold, but they are also smart, and you only have to shoot at the same dog once or twice to convince him to move along and find dinner elsewhere.

fluttervale

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
There's always the option of using deerhounds or wolfhounds to hunt them directly. You do need a pack but there are people that still hunt them with dogs and they will not "guard" the same way a LGD will, and really shouldn't be trusted on faith with livestock, but they are effective.

Pops2

Just born
Reaction score
There's different ways of using dogs to kill coyotes & dogs bred specifically for the jobs.
Decoy Dog- they use a coyotes natural territorial aggression to lure them into the open for a shooter. Most any trainable dog can do it. Can't be too large as the coyotes won't engage or follow aggressively enough. Most often a cur, herding breed or hunt bred Airedale. Most successful when they are raising pups.
Scent hound- like the name says they follow the coyotes scent while sounding off. Killing is one of two ways, hunter gets in front of the race and shoots it or the hounds run the coyote to exhaustion and kill it. Coonhounds are generally slower than foxhounds and better for shooting coyotes. Foxhounds are faster & have a lot more bottom than cooners and so will do a better job of running them down and they kill them pretty well. In the scent hound community there are tree dogs (coon & bear hounds) & running dogs (foxhounds & beagles). Top speed of fastest dogs are a little over 35MPH, but run sustained speeds of 15-25 MPH for distances of upto 40-60 miles in a day.
Sighthounds- also called running dogs & longdogs. They use endurance and speed to catch coyotes. Both dogs & coyotes are able to sprint upto 45MPH for distances upto 1mile and run sustained speeds of 30-35MPH for upto 4 miles. Coldblood (huntbred) greyhounds & staghounds are the cream of the crop & have been bred for the job for at least a century. They will usually kill the coyotes themselves. Hotblood (track) greys & salukis can often catch coyotes but are often not as good a killer and may need a bigger kill dog to help. Borzoi or russian wolfhounds can usually do the job but not as well as stags & coldbloods. Scottish deerhounds & Irish wolfhounds are show dogs that can rarely catch and kill healthy adult coyotes but are occasionally used as kill dog and then crossed onto the faster dogs. Ridgebacks are not sighthounds but cur dogs that hunt more by scent. BulldogXsighthound lurchers are common kill dogs also.
Den or Hole dogs- they go into a den or hole and either kill the coyote or drag it out to be killed. Usually a large patterdale, small pit bulldog or a mix of the two and occasionally a jagdterrier.

Coyotes are built like sighthounds but also have a ton of bottom at speeds under 30. Coyotes caught by labs, healers and such are RARELY healthy adults. They are usually sick, injured, very young or very old.

Dogs bred to kill coyotes do not make good LGDs. It takes a LOT of work to teach them what not to hunt and so should never be left unsupervised with livestock.

Latest posts