Best dog that protects animals and kids?

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lab or golden are they nice dogs? Yes
Can they stop a raccoon from killing chickens?
Will the harm kids? No
Will they stop a stranger when needed?

Just because they're nice and bark doesn't mean alot to me.

Kinda like the phrase bringing a knife to a gun fight.
Therein lies the problem, I do believe...a difference in perception. Not many people are having gun fights out there on their land, so they don't need a gunfighter. A dog with a knife will usually suffice. ;) I'm not the kind of person who carries a gun around on my land nor need a dog to defend me at all times, as there's just not that much danger where I live. Not much danger where MOST people in the US live.

An Akbash or Anatolian would suit the OP fine for what they are wanting and they can be found aplenty out west, but it's likely a Lab or Golden will do as well. They don't mention any major threats to their person or livestock that would warrant a hard core breed, so they don't necessarily need gunfighters, even though it is the west. :D =D

Simpleterrier

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hmm interesting. Yep not many gun fights but alot of racoons killing chickens alot of child abductions alot of predators human and animals. I'd say look it up but don't it's to scary.

i like the different perspectives of different people. I don't need a dog that is over kill but one the will do its job when needed I think we are both looking at what the end results of the job would be. I want dead racoons and live chickens while I sleep u want a dog to bark from the porch and wake u to go out and count missing chickens.

goatyyymama164

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thank you all for all of your wonderful posts! We have decided that we are going to wait to get a dog. We have a lot of stuff going on in our lives right now so we don't really need another thing to take care of. We will keep everyone's dog choices in mind and when the time is right we will get one. Thanks again!

1goatherdess

Just born
Reaction score
I would agree with many posters that the Great Pyrenees is one of the best dogs for security and for livestock. They do need consistent training, but I am able to get my male puppy to do things via verbal commands and hand signals. After his experience with the goats, and even during that time, he bonded well with my family and the goats.

My dog even understands when I have to take him for a short walk and follows the command to "poop", so with a disciplined committed trainer who understands the canine psychology you will have great success with a Great Pyr. They are the ultimate calm yet strong dog that will defend their blended herd and human family against all invaders.