bethh Life on the Funny Farm

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Many of the things I know about gardening and homesteading came from my Daddy and Grandfather. They passed on what they knew and years later, I dredged it up from the back of my mind and put it to use. So there ya' go, what you teach your grandkids may not show up right away, but it will be there, waiting on the day that they remember what Grandma taught them.
Thanks I really needed to hear that. These days have been very trying. I know now why I had my kids in my early 20's.

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
All I can say is wow. I'm sure I haven't been busier than any of you but WOW. This week was my first week with just Harrison, 5.5 years old. The 4+ and 2 year old's nanny started this week. I missed them but life is easier when I'm not chasing a 2 year old. It was short lived. Talked to my son this evening and the nanny isn't working out and they would like the kids to come back here twice a week. Good thing, not all week, but longer days and it will be their 3 kids rather than just the boys.

Prissy our silkie hatched 3 cutie pies this week. Annie, our rescue hen, has 6 Ameraucana eggs under her, 2 that I know that have pipped. I'm excited about these. I've wanted to add more blue, black and splash Ameraucanas to our flock. I purchased them locally. I hope to buy more from her. I bought a fancy incubator. Can't wait to get it up and running. I don't get great results with the smaller ones that I have. Time will tell.

Onto the dogs, 3 of our 4 dogs got COVID hair cuts meaning that we cut their hair. Thankfully, they aren't in dog shows. They are cooler and unmatted. If anyone has suggestions on how to keep GP LGD unmatted I'm all ears.

Last but not least, we finally did blood work on the goats. Herb and I tried to do it ourselves unsuccessfully. I have a friend that I used to work with at the vet and she came and drew the blood for us. I sent it off and it looks like all the tests were negative. Which means, when the kids are born, I can sell them from a clean herd. Dixie is due very soon. I'm excited and very nervous. She is due June 12th if she delivers on day 145. Hopefully she is more like clockwork than I was. Her udder is getting big. My crazy grandson still swears she is going to have 6 babies. Plus this is priceless, we've had so many chicks hatch that he keeps saying when Dixie's babies hatch. Tipsy and Dolly are getting bigger also. I'm not as sure about their dates because after I thought they had both bred, I saw them hook up again. Enough reading, how about some pictures. I'll add some from my phone. They don't always transfer over to the computer.

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
10D38574-5C23-4C46-B8F3-D94D9992B2F9.jpeg

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well, the last few days have been eventful. Yesterday morning Herb found that Tipsy seemed off. Upon further examination I found snotty nose and temp of 105.4. We don’t have close large animal vets but I did get a vet who would see her as a walk in. He found neurological issues, mild not obvious to a newbie until pointed out. He believes that she has meningitis caused by Listeria. He treated her with 4 different meds right then and sent 3 home for us to continue dosing. We decided to crate her in the basement so that we could more easily observe her plus it would be cooler.

This morning while I was watering the chicken coops. Herb came over to the goat barn. Dolly was lying down and had vaginal discharge. She is the doe we bought in January that we thought had been bred. It became obvious that she hadn’t. We bred her in February expecting a mid July delivery. When we first brought her home, she and the boys were together off and on for a week because our girls were so mean to her. She obviously bred then. Thankfully, we only have 2 bucks and they look very different. So you know the saying, watch pot won’t boil. Does the same applied to goats? Watch goat won’t deliver?

I’m currently set up in the goat yard in a reclining lounge chair under a patio umbrella with a cooler filled with possible birthing supplies watching Dolly lay down.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
:hit:hit:hit I am so sorry. I have lost lambs before and my dear BYH friends have been there all the way for me. We do our best and sometimes that just isn't good enough. It is that sinking feeling as you watch events that are beyond your control that can really get you down. Do not blame yourself, this happens to us all, nobody likes it, but together we can get through it.

I have said this many times and I will say it again. I will take the heartache, I will take the hits, so I can have the joys that my animals give to me. The joys and the happiness far outweigh the heartaches. Were I to give up because of the heartaches, I would miss out on the joys.

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
She ended up delivering a third kid. We found it behind something. It was bigger than the first 2 but still not large enough to survive had it been born alive. I spoke with the vet and was supposed to give her Tipsy's 2nd antibiotic shot but didn't get the needle in the skin and ended up wasting the dose plus she didn't get started on antibiotics. Tonight I went to check on Tipsy before going to bed and found her drooling. I'm afraid that isn't a good sign. Her head is tilted to the side. She can straighten it up. I have a feeling I will be taking her back to the vet in the morning. I will call them first thing.

Latest posts