Bottle Jaw

Tiss

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
It probably took about 5 days for the bottle jaw to go down. A good month or so until she stopped looking so ragged.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ivermectin and fenbendazole work here fine. I think it depends as much on the resistance of your herd though. Last fall we did a one time only across the board deworming, even though the majority of our goats had low counts we had a few sneaking up in numbers. After the 2012-2013 9 months of rain by fall of 2013 we decided to do the "across the board" (dairy goats) My does were all going to be bred over a period of time and felt it was best for that season. It was the first time the majority of my goats had ever had a dewormer. I run my own fecals and use the McMAsters Method.
Worked fine for us. I think those that have chronic worm issues may find the above mentioned to not be very effective.

Just about every breeder I know uses the fenbendazole without issue, but these are also herds with very little parasite issues anyway. I am not convinced it is a region issue but an individual herd issue.

newbiekat

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have had my girls 2 years now. I have wormed all of them once, and I believe two of them twice (possibly 3 times). This one that has the bottle jaw now has been wormed twice since she entered my herd in June of '12. She also is the only one that got mites last winter, and now the only one (so far) that has had this bottle jaw. I tend to wonder if there's something up with her... She was only 6 mos old or so when I got her.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
I tend to wonder if there's something up with her... She was only 6 mos old or so when I got her.
I would wonder if she had a bout with coccidia at any point? If not caught timely or not treated effectively it can cause a goat to be a poor do-er and more susceptible to other issues.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
When you first got her did you do a quarantine and run fecals for counts? All goats have a minimum 30 day quarantine. We run a fecal within a few days of them coming as to allow a bit of a bloom if there will be one. Run for and EPG count ... if parasites then those are targeted. We repeat fecals and monitor the reduction A) to see the effectiveness of the wormer and B) to continue the program to ensure they are "clean" and have a consistant 0 count.

This way we can target if we find a goat to not be particularly hardy.

newbiekat

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Elevan- That's a good point, I dont know. She seemed fairly healthy when we bought her...

Southern- We did not... We don't quite have the set up for a quarrantine area... I know that's not so good on our part, but we didn't. Wish we had the space for stuff like that! I do know that I have a younger one that is pretty prone to sickness, clumsiness, worms, etc. So we may breed her once and then she might have to hit the road. It's too much trouble having to take care of all of that!

Also, my Sea Kelp should be arriving in the mail this afternoon so I will make the oatmeal balls tonight! I hope it works!! Poor girl.

newbiekat

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ok, so I have made the oatmeal balls.. Does one 2 cup serving of oatmeal make ONE ball? Do I give the entire ball to one goat? Or split it into several?

Also, how do I dose Probiotics? I have the Probios Max Gel... It says 10 gm but how do I dose that? In a drencher? Mix it with water?

M.L. McKnight

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I don't know about the oatmeal balls but 2c sounds like it should do more than one goat.

If your probiotics is in gel form, I'd imagine that you're supposed to squirt it directly in their mouth. I use a probiotic powder and top their feed with it.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok, so I have made the oatmeal balls.. Does one 2 cup serving of oatmeal make ONE ball? Do I give the entire ball to one goat? Or split it into several?

Also, how do I dose Probiotics? I have the Probios Max Gel... It says 10 gm but how do I dose that? In a drencher? Mix it with water?

That recipe will last for days. Keep it refrigerated and take out what you need, warm in the microwave. :D
The balls should be larger than a golfball, give 1-2 am and 1-2 pm... whatever she will take. I would add the gel probios right into the balls.

If you have any cattle or hog panels that would be enough to keep her more in a dry lot situation. Keeping her from feeding on the ground is best and also this way she isn't dumping all these eggs onto the pasture.

I know, sometimes there are just limitations and you can just do what you can do. :hugs Something you may want to save up for/consider for future.

Btw- how is her copper levels? Making sure they have proper levels also helps with parasites. Do you know if you are in a deficient area?