Bruce's Journal

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
This was it mid September just before the rain came. BTW, all the water you see here came from the hose to keep the tadpoles alive

DSCN1279.JPG DSCN1280.JPG

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks for my report on your pond. We too in Indiana had an unusual above average rain that kept the corn from being planted until dangerous cutoff dates. Most got planted. Some fields that don't drain well are just weeds this year. I have always heard from the old timers that if you get wet Springs with flooding, expect dry Summers and drought. We are pretty much following suit. Glad your hard work paid off on the pond.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
"Free the fish" yay!
Your residence Heron says:"Yay, free food!" :hide:lol:
Actually .... DW and I had taken the container down and put it in the water to let the water get to the same temp as the pond so the fish wouldn't be shocked. I went back to the house to get the camera. The heron landed at the northern edge of the pond while DW was standing by the container. She figured she better not leave it unprotected. The heron left when she called to me to come slowly since the heron was there. First I've seen it this year but with all the frogs I'm sure it will be back.

Ole Mr Snapper liable to return if there is meat on the menu.....;)
Well ... No. I mentioned that the pond side adult was found as only a shell between the electronet and the cattle panel a couple of weeks ago. Today I was mowing the field, primary reason was to cut the overhanging branches so in the future I won't have to duck, push them out of the way, mow around them. Coming in I was running the edge of the fence on the north end of the pond and found the outside adult. All there but dead, right up against the fence. Must have died very recently. I suspect that means we no longer have any adult snapping turtles though we can probably ASSUME that the little one we saw in the pond last fall is still there.

You guys better stop or Bruce's women will make him take those two fish out so they won't be hurt or eaten !:rant:rant:rant:lol::lol::lol:
I really doubt we'll ever see them again, but you never know. The pond seems healthy given all the baby fish and the bazillion frogs in there now. They may grow big enough to be able to tell them from the fathead minnows and the shiners. They certainly have plenty of tiny fish to eat. If they do get to adult size AND we happen to look in the pond when they are closer to the edge, we will know they are still there.

Latest posts