Bruce's Journal

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have an unanswerable question! Went down to the pond after closing up the barn just now. Saw lots of water bugs on the surface, walked the east (barn side) edge, said hi to lots of frogs. As I was standing at the NE 'corner' looking in the water something caught my eye. It was an adult snapping turtle that had obviously gone in very close to where I was standing and swimming to the deep part of the pond.

So that question: Were there THREE adult STs or was the one I pulled away from the electric fence yesterday and tossed over the fence into the tall weeds on the pond bank not dead but stunned and recovered? I guess the only way to find out is to put on my boots and long pants and wander the north edge of the pond bank. If I find a dead turtle, the answer is there were originally (at least) 3 adult turtles. If I don't, there is still no answer since I'd be looking (almost) for a needle in a haystack).

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Turtles can find a "way" to travel....snappers can dig and stay hidden for long periods of time....they will also use other animal tunnels....woodchuck, rabbits, fox, and just like the ones that make it across a road....some are just lucky....snappers are meat eaters and anything is on the menu.....:)

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Or, hopefully, the tadpoles or the purchased fish that I bought and dumped in the pond rather than the two I raised in the house all winter!

Well Bruce you could suit up and get your goggles out and go in for a look n see ! Then you may get a answer :idunno
That isn't necessary since I KNOW there is an adult in there.

Or is it a totally NEW turtle that has decided that your pond is the fanciest real estate in the neighborhood?
Given the pond is inside the fenced area, I'm guessing this one didn't come in any more recently than 2.5 years ago when I put the fence up OR is the one I tossed over the fence. I acknowledge Fred's comment on them being able to dig but at least so far there are no holes under the fence. I would see it when I run the trimmer to keep the weeds from growing up into the hot wire.

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Would the women in your life get upset if you carried (say) a 22 pistol and sent the turtle to turtle heaven? That way you would be protecting the fish there. Of course, that would still leave the heron.
STA, if he could carry a 22, he could have easily "taken care" of his woodchuck problem last year and the year before. ;)