Bruce's Journal

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Dr. Temple Grandin was on Stoney Ridge Farm's YouTube channel today. She sees things in pictures, she sees things the way animals see them.
SRF video it is 46 minutes long so plan some time. Well worth watching.

At the beginning there is a question about autism and Aspergers. She said people with Aspergers aren't educationally delayed (or something like that) and people with autism are.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Temple Grandin is an extraordinary person. She did a presentation at one of our statewide seminars and then again spoke at our Angus assn. summer field day a few years ago. I greatly admire her and her knowledge and her abilities and how she is able to convey exactly what she is saying.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Split some wood with my Sister-in-law this morning (after she got back from her 6 mile walk/run completing a 1,000 mile virtual race). I have a question:
Has anyone else ever found a live snake in a piece of wood they split? Definitely a first for me. It was young, a little less than the diameter of my little finger and about 18" long. It was snaked up inside the piece. And .... no snakes were harmed when the wood was split. I let it go off into the grass.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Have to do this from my phone, hope you appreciate the effort. Still can't figure out how to get pictures from phone to laptop
IMG_20200808_114328335_MP.jpg IMG_20200808_121416249_HDR.jpg IMG_20200808_124421503.jpg

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I SHOULD be able to just connect the phone to the computer but whatever app I need on the Mac doesn't talk to the Android phone even though that is its only purpose.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
DW, her sister and I sheared Laddie Thursday. He started off by spitting at DW and her sister. Fortunately I was behind him ;) Overall he wasn't near as bad as prior years until I tried to take the ropes off his feet. He bent the double snap hook near the end and the piston and spring part shot who knows where. I think the noise of the electric shears really sets him off. I didn't even take them out of the box since they don't work long on their dirty fiber and haven't been sharpened since last year anyway. We'll do Teddy tomorrow.

The vet is coming Monday late morning to do Laddie's teeth, should have been done a couple of years ago I suspect. Not sure how they intend to hold him but I'll leave the shearing stand in their area in case that might be helpful. I have a 350 pound carabiner, hopefully he can't bend that! I put up the electric net fence (not electrified) near the north west corner of the barn so I can close them off in a small area Mon morning before the vet comes. I suspect I would not be popular if we had to chase them all over the 1 acre of fenced area trying to catch Laddie. And I suspect his teeth wouldn't get done since we likely couldn't catch him.

Sister in law and I split all the wood, she's a LOT more helpful than DD2 and doesn't complain about working.

Latest posts