Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
OK, let's get started
DSCN1562.JPG

I hope you brought your 20 foot skewers for the hot dogs and marshmallows

Still plenty of heat from 5' out
DSCN1566.JPG

Getting done, I should be able to pull out all the old chicken wire when it cools down, supposed to rain tomorrow so maybe I'll gather it up on Friday. And then, as @CntryBoy777 suggested, run the manet through the ashes to pick up all the million thin staple nail things that had been used to attach the wire to the wood.
DSCN1567.JPG DSCN1568.JPG

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Only 1 chick on the roost with Anais tonight. Those birds sure aren't predictable.

Dug out a very large rock imitating an iceberg just outside the electronet. There was enough sticking out that I would hit it with the garden tractor so I had it marked and drove around it. But I should have all the things I need to use the new flail mower by Sat afternoon and missing that rock would be quite a bit harder.

Used the string trimmer to cut the grass down so I could move the birds' electronet and found that we are down 1 adult snapping turtle. I had noticed a smell about a week ago that made me think something had died over in the area of the currants and gooseberry bush. Thought maybe a rabbit had been wounded and crawled off to die. But when I moved the electronet there was a turtle shell and the tail bones. It was between the electronet and the cattle panel permanent fence. The only thing I can think of is that it went under the electronet from the pond, then under again and got stuck at the cattle panel fence. The creatures that clean up such things did a mighty fine job, the shell was picked clean, there was no evidence of the turtle's body.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Finally have everything I need to use the new flail, got the last part today. So I took off the backhoe, first time I've done that. Wasn't too hard, just followed the directions in the manual. Lining up to put it back on will likely be a LOT of fun, maybe I'll need to have someone help and say "C'mon back, more more, more STOP!"

And I put on the 3 point parts, obviously the first time for that as well since they can't be there when the backhoe is on. Fortunately I noticed that 2 pins that hold the stabilizer bars to the lower link arms were missing their hairpin clips. What fun it would be to be mowing away, hit a bump and have the stabilizer start swinging around! Went to Ace hardware and picked up 2 at $0.37 each. And a tarp to cover the backhoe.

After lunch I'll go out and hopefully have no trouble connecting the quick hitch to the flail and getting it out of it's metal frame shipping crate. Then I have to find somewhere flat & level :lol::gig, fill the gearbox with oil and set up the machine to mow. By the time I get all that figured out, it might be dinner time ;)

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
When ya drop an implement, put something at the rear tire....that way when ya go to reconnect, ya just backup til the tire hits the marker that was left....I always used a concrete block or concrete slab they use on propane tanks....but have used a chunk of wood....don't use round logs, they will roll and lose your "spot"....:)

Latest posts