Bruce's Journal

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
When we both worked and even now, BJ has almost always cleaned the kitchen after I cooked supper. Our joke is that I mess it up, he cleans it up. Since we retired, he has taken over loading and unloading the dishwasher and I can even find things most of the time! LOL

Your wife works long hours and I admire you for pitching in to do your part and hers too.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I used to do all the cooking AND cleaning up (which included cleaning up so I COULD cook. This back even when DW wasn't working from late 2006 to late 2013). Got sick of that and made a rule: the one who cooks doesn't have to do clean up after.

Now we make DD2 do cleanup, it is about all she does around the house anyway. I still do all the cooking unless DD1 is home and feels like making something related to her dietary requirement. Her stuff is more "interesting" than my basic "meat and potatoes" style but takes a lot longer and creates a lot more preparation dishes/bowls/utensils.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
:gig
Today's "fun", time to move another rack of cord wood (1 run equivalent, pretty much every other Sunday) onto the porch landing. Tractor didn't want to start, gauges all fine but only a click when I turned the key to start. It ran fine a week or so back. I'm thinking of @Senile_Texas_Aggie and his recent neutral safety switch. I have no idea where that would be and actually I don't think I have one because it is hydrostatic, the transmission lever can be in any of the LNMNH positions and it will start. I must have the clutch in for it to start so maybe there is a switch somewhere for that. No idea where to find that either. The only other things I can think of is the battery, seat safety switch or a fuse.

First thought battery, opened the hood, got out the meter, 12.5V so fine. I get out the manual to see where the fuses are. I pull and check a few that MIGHT, MAYBE somehow be related. Check them with the meter, all fine. Start looking in the manual to see if there is a "what to do if" section. Of course not, it isn't very complete manual and doesn't even mention the clutch or seat switches. I happen to see the start up instruction steps. One is to make sure the PTO lever is off. I look at it, it is half way forward. I pushed it all the way back, tractor started fine. I must have caught it getting off the tractor last time. I know I OFTEN catch the light and turn signal switches, that unit needs a cover for klutzes like me!

Not worthy of a Zinger™ award but time consuming and frustrating. Checked the oil when I had the hood up and got the wood rack moved.

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good catch on the PTO engagement safety switch. When my tractor won't crank/start, but the dashboard lights up with the key on the "ON" position, I immediately suspect a safety switch. Here are the safety switches that I know about for my tractor: PTO engagement switch, seat occupant switch, neutral safety switch, and one more that doesn't come to mind (I'll remember it once I post :(). Only after I have checked all of those do I then check for other issues. But it was smart of you to figure it out. :bow

Mr. @Bruce, I think you should start a YouTube channel, showing you cutting firewood, mowing your pasture, taking care of your chickens and alpacas, etc. I would definitely subscribe!

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
I bet it would be an interesting channel. Even if you only posted once a week, I would still watch it. The channel North Texas Hay hasn't posted a new video in 5 months -- I have a feeling they are getting ready to sell the farm -- but I still check every day.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not much happening here even weekly!

That is the way it here now that we are more into maintenance mode. There is a lot of days that I don't post at all but I still like to read a lot of threads. There is still a lot of things to do but it is about identical from one day to the next.