Buying Bees

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wish you success with your bees, BB! I think everyone who has any land at all and can possibly do it, should try to raise some bees. Our honeybees are in dire straights in this world and people are really going to be hurting when the bees are all gone.

As with every other food system that is dominated by commercial growers, they've managed to do more harm than good for the creatures they tend.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Saw some honey bees flying around today and saw my first dandelion... too bad I no longer have bees :( Good luck Babs, and all others.

Happy Chooks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The more I learn about bees the more amazed I am by their complexity and social life. I just got two nucs on Saturday so let's see if I can keep these alive for more than 6 months.
I agree, they are fascinating creatures. I just love to sit by my hive and watch them come and go. Good luck with your new bees! (fingers crossed)

Saw some honey bees flying around today and saw my first dandelion... too bad I no longer have bees :( Good luck Babs, and all others.
You will have them again!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score

I didn't realize you lost your hive, that stinks. Sorry; I do hope you will try again. This is my 6th or 7th year and for the amount of money I spend on bees I could buy a boat load of honey. Someone suggest maybe Mason bees for pollination and I may do that if I lose these hives too.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not a dandelion in sight here....and snow storm comming wed and thurs..... :lol::th

Anyhow...ironically i ordered my package bees and now someone 2.5hrs away has nucs for sale for $125 :hit

i thought about mason bees Babs but i so want honey!! lol

Last edited:

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
It seems like that only time I get honey is when a hive dies and leaves me their stores. Not at all a fun way to gather honey.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I ordered my frames and can't wait to put together this homemade hive and see how it turns out. It feels good getting back into bees.

I remember my dad talking about recovering swarms in hollow stumps they had put a bottom on, then capped with a top...his grandpa was a beekeeper and made Dad help him work the bees. No protection, mind you, just a little barefooted boy getting stung a lot.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Guess what I saw today? All over the peach trees, along with many other kinds of bees...I've never seen so many varieties on one tree!

Can you see her?

LL

Small, dark honeybees all over that tree....could be I might have a chance to bait in some of those bees, huh? Gotta get that hive built....

Here's a pic of how neatly these frames are going to fit down into this little upcycled hive body....just need to build me a ledge in there to hold my frames.

LL

Hope to work on this thing tomorrow and get it mostly scrapped together and painted. I still need to get my frames and some bait material after that.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow lucky you on the nice weather. This was a picture from yesterday...when it was raining ice. Also notice the snow on the ground....which was not there before wednesday night :he some years it feels like winter is never going to leave.
20160324_160813_zpsqqvhzjxj.jpg

The upcycled hive body looks like it will work out well, is that a cabinet of some sort?

Attachments

• 20160324_160813.jpg
    20160324_160813.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 167

Latest posts