BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?

What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?

• how much land/space you have to raise livestock on

Votes: 190 86.8%
  • what type of fencing to have: electric wire, wooden fence, etc.

Votes: 153 69.9%
  • herds’ holding pen

Votes: 88 40.2%
  • how much time you can spend caring for the herds

Votes: 162 74.0%
  • your knowledge about raising herds

Votes: 142 64.8%
  • feed costs

Votes: 154 70.3%
  • purpose of the herd (Milk/meat, both?)

Votes: 154 70.3%
  • future plans (Breeding, Selling Meat, etc)

Votes: 133 60.7%
  • Others: (Please specify)

Votes: 39 17.8%

• Total voters

Amaggio

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I would add checking land quality, especially if in order to supplement feed costs you're going to sow a grazing mix or allow your herd to graze on plants already on your land. You want to know if there are toxic plants that grow naturally in your area, like milkweed, and if they're on your property. You will also want to test your soil to see which nutrients it is rich in and which it lacks. In this way you can be pro-active with supplementing minerals before a problem even occurs.

Amaggio

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Theft is something I worry about as we do butt up to a relatively busy road, (the only side non highway road to get to the city of Longmont). What do people do to prevent it? I have camera's all over the property and electrical fencing around the perimeter. Is there more precautions we could take?

Out of sight, out of mind. If you would be able to plant a row of trees that block your herd from view it helps with opportunists. Even better if you planted a tree you could feed to you herd, no fruit trees though the fruit could get stolen. I live off a highway and have a private road to my house but I was very thankful that the original owners decided to leave trees surrounding me. Even in the winter you can't tell what's on my land unless you come in or hop the fence. We had a theft in the area once by opportunists who saw an unlocked running car without its driver and stole everything inside. Two car seats and the radio were among the things stolen but there were no other thefts in the area. Opportunists are the ones I always think about.

MtViking

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I also think about how challenging it’s going to be to have the animal in our cold winters and try and narrow down the breed/type of critter to add to the homestead. I definitely don’t want to end up with frozen animals before they’re in the freezer.

Latest posts